HEI module/Stealth HEI will not cooperate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HEI module/Stealth HEI will not cooperate

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

HEI module/Stealth HEI will not cooperate

Recently upgraded;TeamRush, E-coil, dedicated grounds, and tried the HEI module. I've tried 3 different modules and they all affect my timing negatively. I can put the stock Motorcraft ignition module back in and it runs fine. Has anyone else run into this?

Yes, I hear your...."Just stick the factory ignition dummy!". I guess I can't leave well enough alone. From what I've read, the e-coil tends to fry the stock module.

Any input?

Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

'Upgrades' huh.....

If you keep a ballast resistor in the circuit, the ignition module will work fine with a hotter coil, I have been running an Accel SuperCoil for ten years now as my 'only' ignition mode besides killing the computer, all the rest of mine is stock and it runs very well. Accel told me via email to just keep the resistor wire in there, they were right.

I have heard of folks having issues if they don't get the orange and purple pickup wires right, there is a plus and negative side there.

Here is how my stock (no computer, Nuttered) engine runs with 91 octane ESSO gas and the timing set at 8-9 BTDC using the stock carb, OEM cap, rotor and wires (from Jeep Dealership) and an Accel coil with 3.31 gears turning 33's. (while still passing emissions and giving 21 mph highway)

1st lights up the 33's 'way' too easy off a stop. 2nd hauls fast to 52 mph@4400 rpm. 3rd pulls hard to 75 mph. 4th buries the speedometer and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th will go.... It also will crawl up a sand pit wall or ravine wall at 400 rpm without a chug, get too steep and it just churns the tires in...

I mean what more could I ask for out of a poor old 258?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

Yep, I need to get this figured out and leave it alone. I originally started out with replacing an HEI distributor and decided to do the whole ignition. I think i've narrowed it down to either the resistor wire or a ground issue with the HEI module. If I don't nail it down today, I'm going back with the stock coil and factory ignition module and I'll just keep a spare with me.
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Renegade86
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
'Upgrades' huh.....

If you keep a ballast resistor in the circuit, the ignition module will work fine with a hotter coil, I have been running an Accel SuperCoil for ten years now as my 'only' ignition mode besides killing the computer, all the rest of mine is stock and it runs very well. Accel told me via email to just keep the resistor wire in there, they were right.

I have heard of folks having issues if they don't get the orange and purple pickup wires right, there is a plus and negative side there.

Here is how my stock (no computer, Nuttered) engine runs with 91 octane ESSO gas and the timing set at 8-9 BTDC using the stock carb, OEM cap, rotor and wires (from Jeep Dealership) and an Accel coil with 3.31 gears turning 33's. (while still passing emissions and giving 21 mph highway)

1st lights up the 33's 'way' too easy off a stop. 2nd hauls fast to 52 mph@4400 rpm. 3rd pulls hard to 75 mph. 4th buries the speedometer and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th will go.... It also will crawl up a sand pit wall or ravine wall at 400 rpm without a chug, get too steep and it just churns the tires in...

I mean what more could I ask for out of a poor old 258?
Thanks for that info Mr. Romain. Will soon be making the upgrade to HEI myself.
Renegade86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Also twist the wires running from the distributor to the module or you could be picking up some extraneous noise impulses causing it to miss-fire.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.