HEI Module/E-coil...compatible with factory fusable link? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HEI Module/E-coil...compatible with factory fusable link?

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

HEI Module/E-coil...compatible with factory fusable link?

For those of you who have done the HEI module or stealth HEI, have you had problems using the factory fusable link that feeds the coil? I'm using the Ford e-coil and running into problems. I think I've narrowed it down to this.

Have you guys bypassed the link?

Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The 14 ga fuse link wire on that circuit hooks up at the fender solenoid. It blows 'just' before something catches fire (hopefully) so that means you have a dead short in your wiring someplace.

If you bypass the fuse link, make sure you have a couple fire extinguishers handy and the fire department on the speed dial...

I have seen folks use an inline fuse and even a headlight for a temporary connection while they tried to track down the short circuit.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Odd. If you really ran it this way you probably cannot shut your engine off. or something else wierd will happen I think. Are you perhaps using a relay inline with the feed from the fuseable link to power the ignition coil?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrev View Post
For those of you who have done the HEI module or stealth HEI, have you had problems using the factory fusable link that feeds the coil?
There IS NO FUSIBLE LINK FEEDING THE COIL!

There is a resistor wire feeding the coil, and it's not a problem.

The fusible links protect the main alternator wire,
And the main fuse block wire,
NOT THE IGNITION.

The ignition circuit is protected by a 3 to 5 Amp FUSE in the fuse block, not a fusible link.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.