hei distributor upgrade for 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hei distributor upgrade for 258

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 08-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
chucksrustyjeep
1986 CJ7 

hei distributor upgrade for 258

I was planning on doing the hei upgrade to my 86 cj and was wondering if anyone has used the distributor from CRT Performance? They are on ebay and I like the way they look.was just wondering if anyone knows anything about them.

chucksrustyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

There are countless discussions of HEI distributors on this board. Some of them have hardened gears on the end which will eat up your cam gear. I don't remember if CRT was one of those or not. Try searching on CRT HEI
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
chevyguy76
1981 CJ5 

HI,

I did this same swap on my 81 cj-5 and it worked out great. I pulled a hei from a runing chevy 250 six, think it was a 78 or 79 1/2 ton pickup. New cap and rotor and coil, plugs and plug wires. I replaced the gm gear with a amc one from a vendor on ebay. Cost was less then 100.00 to do the swap and it works great. Busted jeep.com had a good write up that I used. If they are not around dp a search for the HEI conversion.

Good luck
chevyguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I used a chevy HEI with an AMC 360 V8 gear too. But the OP was asking about the CRT HEI.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksrustyjeep View Post
I was planning on doing the hei upgrade to my 86 cj and was wondering if anyone has used the distributor from CRT Performance? They are on ebay and I like the way they look.was just wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forum...=33&uid=159769

Check out this one I have for $100. Barely used, and I guarantee it won't eat the cam.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Yes there are problems with the CRT HEI distirbutor for the AMC engines. HEI problems with many of the suppliers for the AMC engines. Better off with STock Distributor and Summit CDI Ignition upgrade and true upgrade.

JeepHammer’s Knowledge Base Web Site
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/igniti...EIcompair.html

From Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/crt-hei-cam-gear-question-556294/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva View Post
I am currently fixing the shreaded cam gear in mine. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykump View Post
I just bought a HEI dist. from 4WD along with a new cam gear from the same place......30 miles later I don't have a cam gear.....has anyone else had issues with 4wd Dist.? l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislsmoke View Post
I had a CRT in my 258. after one year the timing was off and I could not adjust it. Pulled the dizzy and found the gear was a little chewed and also the bottom bearing in the distributor was shot
Good luck. Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
His company did the testing for most of the aftermarket HEI makers, and almost all of them had the hardened cam gears at one point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I purchased a GM HEI from E-Bay for $119. The seller has sold quite a few. It doesn't say that it is made by CRT. The name is Dragon Fire. I checked the gear and it is so hard a 1/8 inch cobalt drill bit will not touch it. I am at a loss for what to do!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
the Proform I put in my amc 360 The problem with this ditributor for me was that the MSD gear I bought for it would bind the distributor to the point where it was hard to turn. I ground down the housing slightly to get a little play in the shaft with the gear installed. 4000 miles later, the gears look good, but Jeephammer was correct about the housing being to long. If you,re going to run one these, at least get the MSD gear, and check everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ego99 View Post
I too bought the CRT HEI off ebay a while ago, I took out the HEI and to my dismay the HEI was having my cam gear for lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigf350sd View Post
I also posted this exact same thing on the Jeepz.com forum, but I wanted to post it both places in order to get more feedback on the subject. Well, I unboxed my HEI "clone" cheap Dragon Fire distributor today and proceeded to check it out, gear hardness, length, cap for brass terminals and flaking electrode, etc...and found out a couple of things. First off, the gear was hardened, a drill bit wouldn't even scratch it, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
I installed a Proform HEI in my 360. I would have done the upgrades to the stock distributor, but I had already bought the HEI. Luckily, I at least used the MSD gear, because Proform advertises a hardened distributor gear. I just found this out today; its as if they consider it a desireable feature. Mine seems ok after 5500 mi.,but I feel as if I dodged a bullet.

Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/newre...eply&p=6496554

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion View Post
alright so i was driving into work one day and all of a sudden i hear a huge back fire and the engine just killed try to start it to hear some major grindage.

i pulled the distributor and the teeth on the gears were like ground to sharp edges. i want to keep a 304. i was lookin around on craigslist and i saw a couple of 304's with bad cam gears so now im wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Yep, when replacing the dizzy gear it is recommended to change out to a matching cam gear. AMC's eat'em up & there is a lot of reports on the in the AMC community. Stinks.

Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/360-distributor-drive-gear-just-shredded-itself-639334-post6083193/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06X View Post
I can see the drive gear is mashed up good; the gear on the distributor (proform billet hei style) looks like its brand new.

Should the entire engine be pulled and disassembled due to metal shavings ending up who knows where in oil passages and bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrible View Post
I had a bad experience with the Bulltear set. Find you an MSD set, mine has been working great for a good while now and I push it hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod97 View Post
Ok guys I too fell for the 4WD distributor gear trick. My stock cam gear was shot in less than 100 miles. Lesson learned. had no idea that a new distributor gear was capable of such swift shredding. Its only money....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06X View Post
I ended up using a set of dist/cam gears from bulltear; i too had to take .020~ off the dist gear so it wouldn't bind the hei distributor shaft, i gave it a little play, like the motorcraft had,

Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/replaced-cam-gears-now-no-oil-pressure-584626/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
I recently made the swap in a 304 to hei ignition and as everyone has said it will eat up your cam gear if the gear on the dist is hardened steel and it did.
I recently replaced the cam gear , dist gear, and timing set. I put everything back together and fired it up. It ran for a minute and the lifters started tapping, I shut it down instantly, I'm pretty familiar with engines so I tried priming the oil pump but I guess I must be doing something wrong . any ideas on the best way to go about priming it. I tried using a screw driver but no luck.
I bought my cj about 4 months ago and still have not been able to get her to the trails and it's killing me.

2/09 Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/crt-ignition-fail-697233/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtchris View Post
I know others have posted up some issues with the CRT HEI ignition; I have had mine for a couple thousand miles. I just went to do a tune-up today, and noticed it was loose. I look closer and see that about 1/2 of the ring around the shaft where it sits on the block has just cracked and fallen off. Now useless because it can't be tightened down. I have to worry that any metal shavings fell down the shaft into the block. Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislsmoke View Post
CRT is not billet, at leaset when when I bought mine, just looked like a cleaned up junk yard dizzy. My bottom bushings blew out in my dizzy. Now I went to a 360 and a DUI. Fist time I started it this weekend and fired right up on TDC. Couldn't be happier with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbikers View Post
i can tell you i have a friend with a cherry '86 and a reman'd 258...put the dui in it about 4 yrs ago (less than 10000 miles ago)...long story short, the dist gear trashed the cam gear...got another gear from dui and it was crap too (didn't have the whole drilled all the way through)....
long story short, he had to tear down and start over...not sure if he did junkyard genius or jh's team rush ign upgrade(are they the same?) ....much much safer and a hell of a lot cheaper than dui...
just my .02
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
dodchall70

I have had a CRT in my CJ7 with a 258 for about 2 years now. Not one problem. From what I have seen and read most of the issues was with the V8's. I guess it is up to you if you want to take the chance. I did and I am happy with mine.

[COLOR="Yellow"][COLOR="Black"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #75[/COLOR][/COLOR]
dodchall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

I would go with the Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) HEI. Absolutely the best. A little more expensive, but I think you are getting what you are paying for. They just dropped the price here a few months ago by $100.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

You didnt' say if your vehicle was I-6 or V-8...

CRT has it's days, but there are a lot of reports of cam gear problems with them.
Don't know if they got the 'Issue' fixed or not.
I won't use them.

*IF*...
Yur vehicle is an I-6... You can get away with a quality Remanufactured HEI distributor.
You can get a GM reman distributor from the parts store for about $100 and you KNOW it has the 'Correct' components,
(70's Chevy with 250 CID I-6 engine)

You will have to put an AMC distributor drive gear on the GM distributor.
The gears turn in different directions, so you have to change the GM out for an AMC.
A good quality AMC drive gear will run about $50...
And I STRONGLY suggest you don't run a cheap AMC gear, they have been eating up camshaft gears regularly.

*IF*...
Your vehicle is a V-8, then there isn't any drop in HEI replacment, and you will have to go aftermarket for one...
That means $300 to $500 for one you can trust (MSD, DUI, ect.)
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
rustymudder
1982 CJ7 

I got the 4wd.com $99 Hei distributor a while back, It's worked fine so far, but all this talk of shredded cam gears has me concerned. Is this distributor or its gear a time bomb?
rustymudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
I would go with the Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) HEI. Absolutely the best. A little more expensive, but I think you are getting what you are paying for. They just dropped the price here a few months ago by $100.
I have one of these, it's a great upgrade (pricey but worth the money). In combination with my Weber 38/38 and Borla headers, it pulls like a Harley Davidson.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymudder View Post
I got the 4wd.com $99 Hei distributor a while back, It's worked fine so far, but all this talk of shredded cam gears has me concerned. Is this distributor or its gear a time bomb?
yes.. Sorry to say.

Anyone using a HEI Distributor in a AMC engine needs to be aware of gear needs, the need for hand fitting, the problems with too much advance, the need to plot and recurve your advance curve, and the problems with them sparking out to ground. If you do not understand all these fully then you need to read up more. MSD and DUI are the only ones to trust right now and would still go thru all the steps above and more.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

I’m in the middle of putting a hei Distributor off of a 1981 250 l-6 and have a few (?)s what firing order do I use the Chevy one or the jeep one? And is it true it does not matter where on the Distributor I start the firing order as long as it’s in the right order? And where is the best place to run my 12v wire off of? And I should only have one wire coming off the Distributor as I don’t have a tack.
jarrodblake is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrodblake View Post
Iím in the middle of putting a hei Distributor off of a 1981 250 l-6 and have a few (?)s what firing order do I use the Chevy one or the jeep one? And is it true it does not matter where on the Distributor I start the firing order as long as itís in the right order? And where is the best place to run my 12v wire off of? And I should only have one wire coming off the Distributor as I donít have a tack.
Firing order is the same, I'm pretty sure. But the distributor has no idea what engine it's in, so you'd always use the firing order for the engine.

Yes, it's true it does not matter where you start #1. You can turn it around 180 degrees and wire it from there if you want to.

For most folks, though, it's easier just to do it the normal way.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
ozzieb
1977 CJ5 

You use the Jeep one, and i belive it does not matter where on the cap you start as long its correct.
ozzieb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.