HEI/Carb Installation Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HEI/Carb Installation Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 05-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

HEI/Carb Installation Help

Hey everyone hopeing someone can help me out.
I just recently bought a 1984 Jeep CJ7 4.2 258 inline 6
as a project car and ive done alot of repairs already and am ready to
install this HEI Distributor I just bought and i need a little advice as what to do. I just replaced the carburator, unfortuneatly they gave me one with electronic feedback which i know you dont use with an HEI.
Carb i bought http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4_104859_1879_and this HEI http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...jeep/model/cj7. from the carb i have a fuel line going to the top of the engine block and one going to the vacuum advance. i hope someone can help explain how to put the distributor on properly and alos the connections i need to make to the carb. also carb is not recieving fuel since i put the new one on cause i havent been able to start it cause of the ignition problem, would this be because the jeep isnt on and fuel pump hasnt activated and if so would i just use starter fluid to get it going?

Thank you to whomever has time to respond and help it much appreciated.
Nick

NickP84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You paid nearly $300 for a fake Carter carb? Ouch! First, I'd take that thing back and buy a Weber, or Holly, for the same money, or less.

Here's a good explanation on how to set a distributer. It's not difficult at all.

As for "connections" to the carb, there is a butt-load of info on that, here. Do a few searches and I'm sure you'll find the info you need. Sorry for the non-specific answers, but your questions are about as vague as they come.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

What does an distributor have to do with the fuel pump on a CJ? You have an electric pump?

I would agree, take that carb back and get a real one. Nearly anything is better.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I didnt say the distributor had anything to do with the fuel pump, they are two different questions, i bought an hei distributor and needed some advice as far as installing it. The question about the fuel pump was that i bought that new carb before i had intended to replace the distributor so that is why i have that one, the carb isnt recieving fuel due to the fact my car wont start because of an ignition problem hence the hei distributor. so my first question was how to install and hei properly considering ive never done it and this is my project, my next question was why isnt the carb receiving fuel? i have a new fuel pump, and no it is NOT electrical its mechanical. Is the reason because i havent had my engine working and fuel pump hasnt been able to do what its suppose to do or could there be a new issue?
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

How 'bout you split that up into paragraphs, or at least just not one big run-on sentence? That's hard to read.

Again, the carb not getting fuel has nothing to do with the distributor. The fuel pump is mechanical, it should be getting fuel to the carb when you spin the engine over.

To install the distributor, do it just like any other distributor. Search here for "distributor installation" and you'll find plenty of informative threads.

Now we're getting more of the picture. You haven't had the engine running? Anything else we don't know? What's the story on this Jeep?
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP84CJ7
I didnt say the distributor had anything to do with the fuel pump, they are two different questions, i bought an hei distributor and needed some advice as far as installing it. The question about the fuel pump was that i bought that new carb before i had intended to replace the distributor so that is why i have that one, the carb isnt recieving fuel due to the fact my car wont start because of an ignition problem hence the hei distributor. so my first question was how to install and hei properly considering ive never done it and this is my project, my next question was why isnt the carb receiving fuel? i have a new fuel pump, and no it is NOT electrical its mechanical. Is the reason because i havent had my engine working and fuel pump hasnt been able to do what its suppose to do or could there be a new issue?
The last part of this post about the fuel pump is confusing. Do you understand how a mechanical pump works? If your engine is not turning over or running the pump doesn't pump. So in short, yes, your engine "not working" is why the pump is not pumping fuel to the carb.

But if you have installed a new pump and cranked it over a bunch and no gas is getting to the carb then I would double check that the arm on the pump was installed on the cam correctly.

More details on exactly what you have tried/done/replaced would help reduce the confusion. As it stands it sounds like you're asking "why won't my carb get fuel when the engine isn't running?"
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Bought as a project jeep/ first project.
Things ive replaced so far are as follows
Gas tank
Fuel pump
Starter
Ignition Coil
Spark plugs
Soleniod
Spark plug wires
Distributor cap
Distributor rotor
Computer (which ive returned)

Carb (ordered before it **** on me)( wasnt intending on buying an HEI)

Engine wouldnt get spark and wouldnt fire up.
So I have been slowly replacing everything in the Ignition category
Which is why i have now purchased an HEI to install and was seeking guidance.

Also i want to make sure i can get the carb i do have for the time being hooked up properly.
The guy before me absolutely ruined this jeep so everything is in bad shape.
Like i said in my first post carb looks like it has to hoses connected to it right now, one going to the
vacuum advance and another going to the top of the engine.

However it looks like there are two more ports on the carb one is a yellow outlet on top closer towards the fuel filter without a hose on it, and another right beneath that without a hose, which are the Connections i was reffering to about making sure they are hooked up properly.

Eventually i would like to upgrade everything, but for the time being for financial purposes id like to get it running with the current carb, and properly get the distributor set up, which youve already provided me the info for.

Sorry for being a little confusing/ newbie staus on you guys and everyone for helping.
This is my first jeep and also my first project vehicle. So why not make it a JEEP!

Thanks again,
Nick
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

@jeepwhore
That answered my question thank you!
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
CSP

Did you follow the link Matt gave you on the distributor yet?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Yes I did, i will be installing probably later this afternoon. The only thing I would like to know now is the two unknown hose outlets on the carb itself and what they are for? Any help is much appreciated
Thanks
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP84CJ7 View Post
Yes I did, i will be installing probably later this afternoon. The only thing I would like to know now is the two unknown hose outlets on the carb itself and what they are for? Any help is much appreciated
Thanks
Give us a picture of the carb, and someone might know.
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's how your CJ likely looked like from the factory. In order of the pics:

1. Computer-related systems
2. EGR system
3. Thermal Air Cleaner (TAC) system

Lord knows if any of this still exists on your engine. We'll need detailed pics of your engine compartment to determine what the best setup is for you.

Matt
vac-mcu.png   vac-egr.png   vac-tac.png  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Okay, Two Quesitons.

How do i post pictures?

If i were to send the carb back you gentlemen dont like, is there any inparticualr i should buy? and from where?

Also I just want to say thanks again, matt and pacfan you have been exceptionally hellpful.
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP84CJ7
Okay, Two Quesitons.

How do i post pictures?

If i were to send the carb back you gentlemen dont like, is there any inparticualr i should buy? and from where?

Also I just want to say thanks again, matt and pacfan you have been exceptionally hellpful.
You can set up a photobucket account and host your pictures there. Then just copy and paste the IMG code from each picture into your post.

I prefer the motorcraft 2100 carb. If you go that route it has to have 1.08 venturi's. google mc2100 swap to see what it entails and what donor vehicle you can order it from. If you don't find the info you need I have an extra one at home I can look at and get you the number off the tag so you can order it from auto zone or what have you.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
ceej7
1985 CJ7 

an older 2 bbl bbd w/out the electronics will fit and would be an exact fit, simple and will get you on the road. a lot bad is said about this carb, but mostly due to the electronic version. drill idle tubes out, make sure no slop in butterfly bushings and you wont have any problems for a good long time. pre 83 is w/o the electronic feedback i believe but do a search to be sure. since you bought one already i would take it back and trade for non feedback version. you can always trade up to a different carb after you get some experience with the
money pit......er cj. with the hei and non feedback bbd you can basically rip out all your old emission hoses and a good bit of wiring as well. this is well documented on this forum, and most guys are very helpful. just remember take and post a lot of pics.
ceej7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.