Heep build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Heep build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Heep build

Welp, I thought I might as well start my build thread since all this rain is keeping me down a bit.

She's gonna be an ugly sum ***** up top, but I'm slowly piecing together a pretty under carriage

1980 CJ-5

SPECS:
T-176 4-spd manual with a dana 300 transfer case
AMC Straight 6
Dana 30/AMC 20 -- Either 3.54 open or 3.07 trac-lok, assuming it's still got the original stuff. The AMC has either a Y or A stamp. Too hard to tell.
rusted out body and frame included!

So instead of dealing with tracking down some good steel to replace the frame with, went ahead and went to Okeechobee and bought a body and frame. The frame is what I was really after, the body was only 100 extra so why not.

Limited space at the shop I'm working at, so I got a few friends together and lifted the body off the frame and left the body on the trailer

Now I've got the frame with a coat of primer and welding some steel for the body mounts.

Meanwhile, I started to tear down the actual running Jeep so that'd it'd come apart real nice.

Still runs (gotta be able to move her right now), just barely held together at this point.

By the end of this week, assuming the rain lets up. I plan on having the frame matte black, unless you think gloss would look better

Ordered a 1" body lift with new body mounts as well as a 4" leaf spring shock lift combo.

Once I get all that done, I'm gonna start tearing apart the green one and seeing what I can do for those old axles. I think I'll leave the AMC two piece for now, just gotta make sure I torque her back down to 350 after cleaning her up some.

Probably gonna see about getting different gearing and a lunchbox at least in the rear.

Got a set of 32" Super Swamper S.S. tires to try out, as well.

ground_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Anyways, got some more work done today and Saturday, let y'all figure out what :P

Rough country 4" leaf lift (I know it'll be a rough ride, but she's a mud *****)

Loving father helping his ******* son build said Jeep LOL

Some more work done today, got the rear axle in just gotta put the u-bolts and **** in...

Unread 10-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

SHE ROLLS!!!!

Sorry for the random talk in the posts, I copy/pasted this from a local forum I'm on. Too lazy to redo the stuff, haha.
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You south Florida boys work fast!! Looks good. What's the story on the tub and frame from Okee?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Haha, that's 15 days of progress. The tub is already skinned with tin so rather than deal with my rusted up one, I'ma scrap it, wrap some DP around it and bondo over the rivets. It's gonna be strictly for mudding, so I'm not really too worried about the body looks. As for the frame, she wasn't all that bad, few spots here and there but the most work she needed was welding some steel to the body mount posts.

my plan is pretty much to get one solid Jeep out of this, and then work on rebuilding the diffs, etc. She ran and drove when I bought her, so it won't be too bad. I'm really pleased with how it's turning out.

Started taking the wiring and everything off the motor yesterday, as well as the steering column. Motor looks like a fun job, haha. (Note, I'm 20 with pretty much no mechanical experience...just doing this with my dad's help, but I'm the main grunt).

So far I've got about 1600 tied up in everything, which I think is pretty cheap considering it's a four letter word
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Looking good.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_sniper View Post

So far I've got about 1600 tied up in everything, which I think is pretty cheap considering it's a four letter word

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Still have to clean up the motor, but other than that it's coming together nicely. Gonna get some cheap repair panels and fix up all the holes the best I can, fix the floorboards, and then go tear some **** up in the mud. Down the road, I'd really love to find a good tub to put on her, though. Just don't wanna spend 3,000 for a new one...just yet.
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You will be surprised how far you can get on a CJ tub with flat metal, a hammer and a bit of care. most panels are flat and with a bit of welding experienbce you will find it comes together to an acceptable standard for something which goes off road. Just remember that fixing rust you need to cut back some way to clean solid metal. In its day gas brazing was easier and stronger than welding but I guess MIG makes it all immaterial.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

It's always good to have people in this world that do something with these good old jeeps other than let them sit in a heep to rust out or scrap them keep up the good work
jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

[QUOTE=ground_sniper;12412504]

SPECS:
Dana 30/AMC 20 -- Either 3.54 open or 3.07 trac-lok, assuming it's still got the original stuff. The AMC has either a Y or A stamp. Too hard to tell.
rusted out body and frame included!

This might have been already answered but I'm too tired to read the full thread right now.
1980 AMC 20

X=3.08 open diff
Y=3.08 factory LSD (limited slip diff) works great
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Since I haven't been on here in a while, I thought I'd show off some updated pictures.

Entire album for the build can be found here: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...d_Sniper/Jeep/

Last edited by ground_sniper; 04-08-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Ordered some u-pol raptor for the tub, gonna do that and the top lip after I strengthen the rollbar mounts a bit.
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I have heard nothing negative about Raptor. Just make sure your prep is beyond good!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
ground_sniper
1980 CJ5 

Roger that! and yeah, I think I'll be real pleased with it after looking over everybody else's tubs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.