Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Heavy Duty Tie Rod

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Curly 
#1 ·
I have material to make my own but the reason everyone doesn't make these themselves must be finding the taps. I need a 11/16"-18 NF right & left hand tap. MSC has the right but the left is not easily found. Keeping in mind that I don't want to spend too much (you can buy a tie rod already made for $90) anyone found a source?

#2 ·
#6 ·
Just a thought about manufacturing these. Are those rods that you purchase threaded all the way through? If so, then just run your tap all the way through the rod and you will end up with right hand thread on one side and left on the other, no?

You would have corkscrewed all the way through starting at one end to the other, so if you were right hand thread on the end you started at, would you be left hand at the other end? Not sure if I am screwing this up...

cb

#7 ·
A right hand thread is a right hand thread regardless of which direction you look at it. Think of a common nut. You can run the bolt in from either side. You need two different taps.

#9 ·
CJ51973 said:
Now I know why everybody doesn't make there own tie rods:
11/16-18 NF right hand tap=$12.00
11/16-18 NF left hand tap=$95.00 :drool:
Big Daddy looks good to me.
Why don't you look around to a couple of machine shops. The may have the tap and charge low amounts of labor is the hole is predrilled and everything. They can probably powertap the hole in under 1/2 an hour.

#11 ·
CJ51973 said:
I run a machine shop.
Ah I see (I guess it isn't hard to locate a machine shop when you go to one everyday :))

I work in one too but I don't think we'd have anything you're looking for. http://www.elwd.com/ecf.htm

#12 ·
CJ51973 said:
I run a machine shop. The problem is that 11/16-18 is a weird thread. No one uses it except the auto industry.
www.mcmaster.com

Item #2595A661 - Taper
Item #2595A662 - Plug
Item #2595A663 - Bottom

All for $37.45 ea For Right hand Taps

________________-

Left Hand Taps: $72.34 ea

Item #2584A914 - Taper
Item #2584A915 - Plug
Item # 2584A916 - Bottom
Item # 2584A932 - Set - $318.73

Ouch! That does hurt.

#14 ·
I thought about that. But if I start replacing good tierod ends plus doing the work and still buying the right hand tap and jam nuts am I staying ahead. I loose the fien adjustment also. I can get a Big Daddy set up for $149 or $80 for just the tierod off ebay. Plus it's powder coated :laugh: . Thanks for all the help anyway. I'll concentrate on my high clearance skid. Work begins tomorrow.

#15 ·
I used 1.25 DOM tube and bought the bung threaded inserts. I like you would have preferred to tap the tube but the taps as you know are cost prohibitive. I made my drag link and tie rod about a year ago and have wheeled em hard, no problems yet. Just weld the inserts in the tube and your good to go. This may be the way to go for you being as you already have the tube and ends. Give Shane a call @ http://www.hbrk4x4.com/ for the bung inserts they come left and right hand thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.