Heavy duty steering box bracket who makes a good one and where do i get it??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Heavy duty steering box bracket who makes a good one and where do i get it???

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-09-2002, 06:45 AM   #1
scottahicks

Heavy duty steering box bracket who makes a good one and where do i get it???

Ok heres the deal, I finaly after trials and tribulations finshed my power steering conversion. I knew dering the install my box bracket was noose and in bad shape but at the time could not temove the pump brackets from the box because of a lack of proper tools and i just needed it on ther so it could be moved on to a vehicle moving truck and off again. the install gave me that but the box isnt solid, it does move the tires and such but it wiggles around because two of the box bolts are loost and the bracket is old and rusty and has been ground on in a couple places,, looks like some had to grind off the frame mount bolts, So in a couple weeks when I get to oregon and have the time to drop the box and have the tools to do it ptoperly I will be replacing the bracket assembly, so now I dont want to spend a fortune on the new brackets, and and I dont have the capeability to make a new one so what it the best bracket/brackets to use that will last and protect my box??? and where do I get them from?
thanks a lot guys for all the help!!!!

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President

Last edited by scottahicks; 11-09-2002 at 06:47 AM..
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 12:55 PM   #2
CSP

MORE ( www.mountainoffroad.com) and Sam's Off Road both carry a replacement steering box mount.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
55-willys

ive seen the bracket you need on ebay from time to time. there a heavy duty version of the stock one, but not as expensive as the &100.00 after market one ive seen being sold. youll just have to check on ebay, you might try JEEP PARTS or STEERING PARTS. but i have see them. i think they were about &45.00. or you might be able to get a welding shop to make you one.
Unread 11-10-2002, 03:32 PM   #4
4wheeler4CJ

Hey Scott.

I am getting caught up on reading here at JF, and saw your posts about the power steering. Are you using the box you got from me? If so, it is definitely a '76, not a '74.

Sorry about the bracket problems, I didn't have the right tools to tighten the mount bolts (reverse torx )....I have reverse torx, but the ones Sears sells (Lisle), not the "fine threads" that the steering box takes. The steering box takes the same type that the driveshafts on the strap-type yokes have. Aggravating style to say the least, since I couldn't find them yet!

My '77 project I have that is still ongoing also has a few loose bolts on the bracket (that I can't tighten), so I know what you are going through! PITA! Anyway, I hope the box worked out ok otherwise.....it only had 36,000 miles on it, but was rusty from sitting.

I was going to add to this post that a steering box brace would be a GREAT add-on, it sounds, in your case, and I am planning one on my CJ, since I will be adding 33s sometime.

Have you moved yet? If so, how did you make out with shipping, as we were talking about a while back?

Eric
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 04:09 PM   #5
scottahicks

yeah the box im talking about is the one you sent me. the box is severly loose but will surfice for the shipping purposes, I did find a bracket that is WAY WAY WAY better than stock check it out
http://www.sams4x4store.com/specialty.htm
with this bracket there is no need for a support unless you just want to put one on but it is a bit pricey $115.95 but by the looks of it and thw two writeups i see why the jeep is suposed to ship out this week hopefully and its gona cost me 800.00 but I found a way to barrow the money so my baby is going to its new home
we leave out of here in the 19th then its 3000miles to home should be interesting

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 04:47 AM   #6
4wheeler4CJ

That's cool, the only thing to remember with a really heavy duty steering box mount is that you can end up cracking your frame (instead of the mount) because the mount is so rigid. The Brace added on will almost eliminate all flex you'll get in the mount area.

800 for shipping up to WA? Not too bad! That's quite a haul!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.