heating up a axle bearing in the oven - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > heating up a axle bearing in the oven

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
neals80
1980 CJ7 

heating up a axle bearing in the oven

okay...I have new one piece axles and need to press on the new bearings....I did one side the old fashioned way and it is fine..I have heard you can heat up your oven to 400 degrees and put the bearing in the oven ( for how long)...then slide the bearing right on??? then grease it after words...?? A little help here..

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Keyser328
1982 CJ7 

I have to say, I've never heard of baking bearings. I've heard of baking paint, but not bearings.

My wife would never forgive me, and she'd never again make me cookies...
Unread 10-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Heating the bearing should work to help it slide on easier but if the first one went on fine why not do the second one the same way?

I know lots of places that freeze flywheels, to make them contract, and heat starter ring gears, to make them expand. Slide the two over each other and they become solid as they change back to the same temperature.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
neals80
1980 CJ7 

it was a lot of banging to get the bearing and ring on the axle..trying to get something pressed on in this town is impossible...so I have a great bang on method ...but just wanted an easier way...

Unread 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I found this article on bearing replacement techniques.

"B. Temperature Mounting
Temperature mounting is the method of obtaining an interference fit by first
introducing a temperature differential between the parts to be fitted, thereby making the
assembly easier. The required temperature differential can be obtained as follows:
a) Treating one part (this is, generally speaking, the most common method).
b) Cooling one part.
c) Simultaneously heating one part and cooling the other part.
The temperature differential method is suitable for any bearing size, both straight-bore
and tapered bore. Because of the equipment required, the cold mounting method is used
wherever possible for bearings under a 4"(10.16cm) outside diameter.
The most usual bearing mounting is that in which the inner ring is mounted with an
interference fit on the shaft, and the outer ring is mounted with a line-to-fine to loose fit in
the housing. For non-separable bearings over a 4"(10.16cm) outside diameter, it is
necessary to heat the entire bearing or just the inner ring, depending on the method of
heating, so that the inner ring easily goes over the shaft. In the case of a separable
bearing, it is only necessary to heat the inner ring. The bearing should be uniformly
heated within a maximum temperature of 250F(121C). Methods for heating a bearing
are: hot oil bath, hot plate, induction heater, and oven. A sealed bearing can never be put
in a hot oil bath."

I'm pretty sure my college professor also recommended ~225* for heating. The first option is usually to cool one of the parts rather than heat. A combination of both also works well. Maybe dip the axle end in a bucket of ice water and heat the bearing to ~200*, they should slide together with minimal effort.
Unread 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

We heat bearings up all the time at work but on a special cone shaped heater to about 250 -300F but I have done the same out in the field on repairs of equipment using a toaster oven. But heating the bearing is only half the work, you need to put the axle in a freezer to shrink it some also. A chest freezer works best and you'll want to keep it in there for a couple of days if you can. When you are ready to install the bearing, preheat the oven to 300 and put the bearing on a cookie sheet and not the oven rack for about 30 -45 minutes. Get yourself an oven glove or welders glove and remove the bearing while having the axle shaft removed from the freezer just beforehand. Now, very quickly, install the bearing without using a shop press as it won't be needed. You need to do this quickly before the temperatures of the mating surfaces equalize or you will need to use the shop press to finish the install of the bearing.

I do this all the time with both small and very large bearings and people are amazed how easy the bearings fall into place with minimal effort.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

When I replace bearing on our race bikes and quads I always froze the bearings. Never tried baking them.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Is that and internal or external bearing? You freeze them if you want them to shrink so they are easier to press into something, like a wheel bearing race in a hub. You heat them if you want them to expand to be pressed over something, like a bearing over an axle shaft.
Unread 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
neals80
1980 CJ7 

coiz...the axle bearing...it needs to be heated...I am going to hammer it on like the other one...Thanks...

Unread 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That sounds like a lot of work, seeing that you have to press on the bearing retainer, too.

There's gotta be some place to get them pressed on.

Plus, it's tough to grease them, as thoroughly, once pressed on (not impossible though).

I think I'd break down and buy a cheap press (Harbor Freight). they come in handy for all types of jeep projects, plus...think of all the extra money you'll make pressing on stuff for the rest of the town!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

You can also put the bearing on a incandescent light bulb for an hour or two.

An other option is a pan on a hot plate filled with oil. I prefer this method myself.

But they both work well.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
kmm

I've also used the toaster oven method as we didn't have the quite expensive commercial bearing warmers. Worked great in me experience, and these bearings were around a six inch shaft for amusement park rides. I work in local machine shop and have heard although havn't tried this is to use a deep frier( like for fish). Got a laugh out of this but swore it worked and the vegtable oil was good on the bearing? (anyone for deep fried bearings )
kmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
You can also put the bearing on a incandescent light bulb for an hour or two.
Yep, used that method also and it works great with a 100 watt bulb.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
We heat bearings up all the time at work but on a special cone shaped heater to about 250 -300F but I have done the same out in the field on repairs of equipment using a toaster oven. But heating the bearing is only half the work, you need to put the axle in a freezer to shrink it some also. A chest freezer works best and you'll want to keep it in there for a couple of days if you can. When you are ready to install the bearing, preheat the oven to 300 and put the bearing on a cookie sheet and not the oven rack for about 30 -45 minutes. Get yourself an oven glove or welders glove and remove the bearing while having the axle shaft removed from the freezer just beforehand. Now, very quickly, install the bearing without using a shop press as it won't be needed. You need to do this quickly before the temperatures of the mating surfaces equalize or you will need to use the shop press to finish the install of the bearing.

I do this all the time with both small and very large bearings and people are amazed how easy the bearings fall into place with minimal effort.
How well does this work with the bearing retainer ring? When I installed my bearings I measured the bearing vs. axle. It was a .001" interference fit. The retainer ring was tighter--I seem to remember just over a .004" interference fit.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
neals80
1980 CJ7 

all good I dropped in the other axle last night in about 15 min..bearing and all...I hammered it on with a 3ft alum pipe...new lift and axles..rode great...Thanks to all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.