Heater wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Heater wiring

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
ethanunc
1976 CJ5 

Heater wiring

I am adding a new heater in my 76 cj5, I'm wandering what the easiest way to tap into the bulk head is. Also adding a radio any suggestions on which circuit to splice onto? Thanks!

ethanunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Not sure on the heater wiring. Radio I would run a wire direct from the battery with a fuse near the battery to the constant power lead normally red then come off the ignition switch ACC side for power on. As for a ground whatever ground you have under the dash that's good so you don't get feed back from it.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Not a fan of tapping in to existing circuits...

I would go from battery to a circuit breaker, to a new 5 fuse block. That way you will have 3 more circuits to expand to. Dash grounds are worthless.. Install a small ground bus bar. Run you new circuit grounds directly to it and then one from it to the battery.
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
ethanunc
1976 CJ5 

Awesome! That's what I'm gonna do. Thanks a lot for all the help guys
Sorry for the silly questions just getting into the jeep thing. But I'm loving
It!
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanunc View Post
Awesome!
Sorry for the silly questions just getting into the jeep thing. But I'm loving
It!
No such thing as a silly question, this is how we all learn. Lots of prior jeep owners should have asked a few questions before embarking on modifications. But on the other hand, then we current owners wouldn't have very much to complain about, would we? God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

The only other thing I would add is that if you wire it that way your radio will always be hot. If you want it to only work when the key is on I would then recommended splicing in to a 12v switch hot and run it to a relay. It will only power the relay to open / close and not directly feed power to the radio.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I just rewired the heater in my Dad's 72 CJ5. I went and bought one of these..
and power from the battery is controlled though a 20amp relay. Off of that fuse block, I have most of the vehicle electrical systems ran.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
ethanunc
1976 CJ5 

Great ! Thanks for all the tips! I was looking at a fuse box like that one.
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
The only other thing I would add is that if you wire it that way your radio will always be hot. If you want it to only work when the key is on I would then recommended splicing in to a 12v switch hot and run it to a relay. It will only power the relay to open / close and not directly feed power to the radio.
You do know most modern radios for cars have a constant power (red), key on (yellow) and ground (black). You want the constant power from the battery to avoid background sounds. The key on power comes from the acc on the ignition switch. The reason its done like this is for the memory on the radio.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858
You do know most modern radios for cars have a constant power (red), key on (yellow) and ground (black). You want the constant power from the battery to avoid background sounds. The key on power comes from the acc on the ignition switch. The reason its done like this is for the memory on the radio.
Actually I didn't, :-( Not a modern radio guy. So skip the relay then. Pull the constant power from the new fuse block, still with how poor CJ grounds were designed I would run dedicated ground back to a ground bar.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.