Heater vent help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Heater vent help

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Heater vent help

I only use the ventilation system for heat during the winter. Otherwise, I never use or access it. Is there any reason this vent needs to be open other than when accessing outside air? Is it ever open when using heat?

The reason I am asking is that one of the little brackets under the dash that opens/closes one of the vents broke off, and it's holding up a bunch of projects. I would like to just leave it and move on if I can.

Thanks.

dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

That is the main fresh air inlet door that feeds air to the blower motor. If you want any type of significant airflow, you will need that door to function.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
That is the main fresh air inlet door that feeds air to the blower motor. If you want any type of significant airflow, you will need that door to function.
I was afraid of that, but thanks - I appreciate the info.
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

I noticed that there is no wire to manually move that particular vent - only the fresh air vent on the cowl. How exactly does this vent work?
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Should have been one there- maybe pulled by a PO?

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

VOILA! OK, for you out there struggling with this, I finally figured it out. First, I am a weekender mechanic that just enjoys Jeeps and working on them - I apologize for insulting you on here that are experts.

I have been complaining about my fan upgrade (the Chevy Blazer motor upgrade) for months, that it did not change air flow much. Yesterday, attempting to solve the problem above, I discovered that if the passenger vent is closed, and the cowl vent is open (feeding the heater), the new fan blows me out of the cab. The open passenger vent reduces flow significantly.

So, the answer to the above question is this:

1. The functionality of the driver's vent is irrelevant to heater functioning. If your vent is broken like mine, just secure it up underneath the dash and move on.

2. Pulling the "air/vent" cable halfway out opens the cowl vent, which supplies air to the heater/blower.

3. Pulling that cable all the way out opens the lower passenger vent, which aids only in venting in outside air, and diminishes heater capability significantly. In other words, you never need to do this unless you want to vent in air flow in the summer months.

Very happy about this. For the record, the difference with the Chevy Blazer motor upgrade is amazing.
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Also, solution for broken bracket...I just drilled a hole in the little bracket and slipped it on the vent rod end. I'm going to see if they can just pop a little weld bead on the end to fuse them together without melting the whole area. If not, it's 100-mile-an-hour tape and moving on.
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I just slapped mine back on and shot a tiny little weld over it (right on the end of the stud) and it held.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.