Heater Craft 28,000BTU upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Heater Craft 28,000BTU upgrade

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!

1976 CJ7 

Heater Craft 28,000BTU upgrade

I want to go to the Heater Craft 28,000 BTU htr but I have a few concerns which are:

Can it be done on a 76 CJ7 (has anybody done it here--pics maybe?)

Can you control the heat temperature

Do you see almost the entire heater/hoses etc. under the dash

Can you rig it up to still use the dash knobs to control where the air goes

Do those fluid lines end up too close to the passengers feet/legs

Has anybody done this on a full soft tops and in a cold climate state (results?)

Or can you do the Blazer upgrade on a 76 CJ7?

mytjtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

the answer to the blazer motor ? NO
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I ran the Heater Craft heater in my old 71 CJ5 when I first built it. The system is a stand alone.. replacing the entire factory heater box. It's fairly compact and tucked up under the dash pretty nice. The inlet/outlet lines came in close to where the factory stuff was. The fan system is built in and uses 3 speeds. I don't recall how I controlled the actual temp but I think it was a pull knob. The heater had 2 outlets and a bunch of soft hose (about 3" diameter) to route it where you want. I ran one hose up to a modified defroster duct and the other hose I split in half (using a plastic plumbing "T" and ran that to either side of the dash.

Coldest weather the Jeep experienced (in Virginia) was probably low 20s.. and it kept the Jeep very warm (with a good sealing top). Matter of fact, I could only stand to keep the heater on low as Medium/High would cook me.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I ran the Heater Craft heater in my old 71 CJ5 when I first built it. The system is a stand alone.. replacing the entire factory heater box. It's fairly compact and tucked up under the dash pretty nice. The inlet/outlet lines came in close to where the factory stuff was. The fan system is built in and uses 3 speeds. I don't recall how I controlled the actual temp but I think it was a pull knob. The heater had 2 outlets and a bunch of soft hose (about 3" diameter) to route it where you want. I ran one hose up to a modified defroster duct and the other hose I split in half (using a plastic plumbing "T" and ran that to either side of the dash.

Coldest weather the Jeep experienced (in Virginia) was probably low 20s.. and it kept the Jeep very warm (with a good sealing top). Matter of fact, I could only stand to keep the heater on low as Medium/High would cook me.
Thanks for the info. I think with Michigan being near 0 degrees for a month (or can be) this is a must with a soft top and soft doors.
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Can it be done on a 76 CJ7 (has anybody done it here--pics maybe?)

well don't know about a 7 but it works on my '76 CJ5 just fine

Can you control the heat temperature

Can't control the heat temp, but you can control the cabin temp with fan speed.

Do you see almost the entire heater/hoses etc. under the dash

Not if you tuck it up nice and neat.

Can you rig it up to still use the dash knobs to control where the air goes

The only dash knob have left is the fresh air one. I took the rest of the heater box out to make room. But "can" is a vague word on this forum. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Do those fluid lines end up too close to the passengers feet/legs

No, they don't have to.

Has anybody done this on a full soft tops and in a cold climate state (results?)

We are not as cold as you are most of the time, but I have driven it in the low 20s and usualy have to turn the fan down a notch or two.

Or can you do the Blazer upgrade on a 76 CJ7?

Sadly no. The 76 is a bastard step child of the Jeep family when it comes to heater and fuel filler.

I can take some pics tonight when I get home for you.
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Oxmarqt
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post

I can take some pics tonight when I get home for you.
Ooo, Ooo! Take lots of pics from many angles if you can. I am planning the same thing and as they say...A pic is worth a thousand words!!

Thanks
Paul
Oxmarqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxmarqt View Post
Ooo, Ooo! Take lots of pics from many angles if you can. I am planning the same thing and as they say...A pic is worth a thousand words!!

Thanks
Paul
AGREED, thanks all! We are supposed to get up to 8 inches tonight. Thank God for pole barns for Jeep work.
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
cj7moneypit
1984 CJ7 

I have been driving my CJ7 for going on 3 Michigan winters now with a soft top, soft doors and the same heater you are planning on. I have found that having defrost is way more important. You can always put on another jacket. When your windshield turns to ice on the inside and all you are looking through is a hand print, the drive is a bit scarier. I installed mine behind the glove box with the entire old heater removed. I'll admit, when the old heater worked, it was allot better than the Heatercraft. It comes with a selector switch that gives the blower a low, med, high setting. The cab doesn’t get hot but does manage to get comfortable. I used the older style defrost duct that has the round end. It works well. Is your original heater working? I still have the old parts. Send me a PM if your interested and in the area. I can get some pictures of the new heater as well when I get home.

USS Midway, NAS Cubi Pt. PI, NAS Agana Guam, NAS Miramar, NAS Alameda
cj7moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7moneypit View Post
I have been driving my CJ7 for going on 3 Michigan winters now with a soft top, soft doors and the same heater you are planning on. I have found that having defrost is way more important. You can always put on another jacket. When your windshield turns to ice on the inside and all you are looking through is a hand print, the drive is a bit scarier. I installed mine behind the glove box with the entire old heater removed. I'll admit, when the old heater worked, it was allot better than the Heatercraft. It comes with a selector switch that gives the blower a low, med, high setting. The cab doesn’t get hot but does manage to get comfortable. I used the older style defrost duct that has the round end. It works well. Is your original heater working? I still have the old parts. Send me a PM if your interested and in the area. I can get some pictures of the new heater as well when I get home.
You not too far from me at all. 30 minutes. Enjoy the storm tonight. My heater works but I can blow hotter air than it does. I have no defrost and instead of tearing it all apart I figured I am dumping enough money into this thing I might as well do it right. Are you saying the 28,000 btu heater doesn;t blast you out of there? I might end up getting a hard top for the winter next year or just move to the Bahama's. I think a gas fireplace in the back instead of the rear seat would be great!
Unread 12-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
magilla
1969 C101 

It works

Bunch of Jeepster Commando guys and CJ6 guys have swapped, with exceptional results. I just bought one for my Jeepster, as I have a bad fan and a leaking heater core, and this will fix both problems and allow me to put my heater switch in the center of the dash.

One key, no matter whether you do the heatercraft heater or put in a Blazer motor is to make sure you have HOT coolant going to your heater core.

You need to check:

1) Heater core should be unrestricted - a gunked up core = NO HEAT
2) Hoses should be supple, yet firm (and not kink from water pump suction/pressure)
3) ENSURE you have a good thermostat (195 recommended - you'll get better gas mileage to boot) FYI - your thermostat can also be faulty by opening too soon...
4) Obstruction to your radiator (in winter) to allow coolant to heat up.

Here are some links to websites that show installs: One CJ6, one Jeepster:

http://boyink.com/cj6/heater-install...t-heatercraft/

http://jeepstercommandoclub.com/foru...+heater#p87858

Recommend the Summit heater, as it is cheaper ($144 vs. $300 from Heatercraft) and when it arrives, it says "Heatercraft" on it. You can also order defrost hose kit and vent kits with "Y" adapters if you need to.
Unread 12-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Pictures as promised. They are kind of up close but whacha gona do with an iPhone... kwim? Let me know if there is a particular shot you want.

Tucked up under the dash on the passenger side.

Little to the left so you can see where the hoses go.

Right side mounting. Note the radio antena comming through the sidewall for position reference.

Left side mounting, you can see where the original heater hoses attach.

Hoses comming out the top, they are a little cramped, but not enough to make any difference.

One of the hoses, goes to defrost. You can see just to the right of it (in the pic) the fresh air inlet is still in place so I can open the vent, or not. Use it to adjust cabin temp sometimes. I also had to make my own little "harness" out of zip ties for the defrost because all the stock defrost pieces are bigger than the hose, so I put the hose inside with zip tie harness and viola.

Second hose goes to the little airbox / plenum / vents that came with it when I bought it from 4WheelParts a couple years ago.

airbox / plenum / vents from the front.

Like I said, let me know if there are any other angles you want.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.