heater core hose routing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > heater core hose routing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

heater core hose routing

I searched a few threads in here, and can't seem to find the answer. I have had a bit of a leaky heater core, not bad enough to fix until yesterday!! I have bypassed the intake and run just directly from the thermostat housing and the water pump to the heater core. I don't know the direction of flow in the core, but I know unluess the thermostat opens, I don't get any heat? Do I have the hoses backwards? is there a "backwards"? any help would be ...well warmer!!

Thanks,

Tom

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

The water pump sucks.. On a 258 with a heated intake, from the thermostat housing to front of intake, back of intake to bottom of heater core. From the top of heater core to water pump If you have your hoses on the heater core the other way around air will be trapped and the heat wont work so well,
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
ccbhunter14
1984 CJ7 

I've got the water pump hose running to the bottom of the heater core and the thermostat housing hose running to the top of the core and it gets nice and toasty!
ccbhunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Thanks! I have tried both ways, I think I am just gonna remove the thermostat to get some more flow.

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
Thanks! I have tried both ways, I think I am just gonna remove the thermostat to get some more flow.

Not a good move, ever..

It wont warm up enough/at all in cool weather, in warmer weather in may very well over heat because the water wont stay in the radiator long enough to cool.

I just replaced my thermostat again because I wasn't getting sufficient heat. I didn't bother to test it before I installed the last one but it was opening to far causing the cool running, I tested the new one and the one I removed this time. Opening gap is checked with a thermometer and a feeler gauge over a pot of water on the kitchen stove. I'll look around for the specs if you need them.

Sounds like you need a thorough flush of the system and a tested thermostat installed.
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

cool, thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
The thermostat just makes it warm up better, it doesn't affect the flow to the core at all. The core uses a heater 'bypass' hose which bypasses the thermostat.

You also need to be sure that bypass hose from the thermostat runs lower than the level of the coolant in the rad or it will air lock cutting down on the flow and heat radically. Mine were even zip tied to the rad support when I got it and it had zip for heat.

The even sell molded hoses with a 90 deg bend in them for hooking to the waterpump and thermostat housing to keep it low. Here are some part numbers for them:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...0/#post8272036
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

Mine wasn't getting hot, it would blow warm air when you first turned it on, and after a few minutes cold air again. I took the hoses off the heater and blew air through the core and a bunch junk came out, heater works great now. This could be your problem especially if the jeep has been setting for a while. Don't use high pressure and don't stand in front.
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.