Heater blower - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Heater blower

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 03-26-2003, 05:24 AM   #1
PAJeeper

Heater blower

I own a 78 CJ7. When I purchased it the vehicle was in shambles. The heater was completely unhooked and laying in the back seat( whick was also completely removed and laying in the trunk). I replaced the tub and went to put the heater back in and ran into problems, I cant figure out the wiring for the heater and cannot find a good diagram in Chilton or Haynes. I have a 3 prong female end connector which appears to have a connection on the air duct where it connects with the heater. This connection seems to have a thermostate type spring on the inside of the air duct but no wires. A little curious since it has 3 wires leading to a thermostat. I think that there is a power connection on the engine side of the blower motor but Im not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wife keeps saying- in this winy voice "you know I dont think it will pass inspection with out the heater working, I know Im not going to get into it, what happens if it rains and your windshield fogs up and you crash". I say "your not going to get into it ehh? Promise? Anyways I m trying to make this as "wife friendly" as possible any suggestions on that topic would be grewatly appreciated also. Thanks fellas.

PAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
CJ8Dave

The power for the blower motor on my CJ8 is connected from the engine compartment side of the firewall. I do not have any other power connections.
Unread 03-27-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
knifeboy2

I have no clue what the inside of the platic heater housing looks like, however you've already found the 3 prong connection that hooks up under the dash. Then there is a single wire which comes out of the firewall on the engine side. Assuming the wiring on the inside is correct, then you're good to go. Thats all that is involved in wiring it up. As for inspection I'd imagine it would pass without heat. Take it during the summer so you won't have to worry about defrost. Buy a cheap space heater and plug it into the cigarette lighter and you've got heat. Get a power converter, and plug in a hair dryer and you've got defrost. Plus you're wife can do her hair as she rides. What more could she ask for?
Unread 03-27-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I know what you're referring to.. it's on the inside of the tub and you can see it under the dash...

Is this it Click Here
Unread 03-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #5
PAJeeper

Yes that is exactly the plug. I think what Im going to do is upgrade my puny blower motor. The only hurdle I have now is that I cant find the power wire in the engine compartment. You see the person that had this Jeep before me, I prefer to call him Johnny fly by night jury rig man, decided he was a better electrician that the fine people at AMC. Seems he did a little creative wiring on his own. For example, did you know that a toggle switch spliced with wire nuts into the main wiring harness and duct taped to the harness could be very useful. Sure somehow he managed to turn on and off almost all the electric devices from this one toggle switched. However I must disagree with this idiot using masking tape in place of electrric tape. Anyways I just need to study the wiring diagram a bit.
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:02 PM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Well sometimes it pays to go by a painless wiring kit from quadratec and do it the way you want to.

As for the wire to the blower motor, that's a TAN wire...there shouldn't be many of those. It starts out of the firewall fuse panel, runs along the back of the motor with all the other wires.

It's literally the only tan wire in the lot.

If you need pics, email me at jadams68@verizon.net

Q: Where are you in PA? I'm in Exton.
Unread 03-27-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
PAJeeper

Thanks alot for the help I have to take a look at it this weekend. This is my first CJ and I was not really familiar with the set-up of everything. When I got this Jeep (I got it from the town of Gap, kinda close to you) I didnt really have any reference to go by as to where everything went. Im near Wiliamsport. My inlaws live in Pheonixville. Im gonna take the Jeep down there for its first long trip in a couple weeks. So if you see someone wrenching a Jeep along side the road, stop and give me a hand
Unread 03-27-2003, 11:36 PM   #8
knifeboy2

If you do decide to rewire, I'd recomend a Centech harness. I just got done wiring my Jeep with one and it was great. And even better than being almost totally pre-terminated was that it was cheaper than the painless kit. Whatever you do good luck. The blower motor upgrade is supposed to be a very worthwhile effort, although I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Unread 03-28-2003, 05:30 AM   #9
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Phoenixville is right up the street... If you wanna meet up and shoot the breeze let me know... jadams68@verizion.net
Unread 03-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #10
PAJeeper

Youve got a deal, send me a PM with contact info. Also are you going to the BMJA swap meet this Sunday its south of Pottsville in Hamburgh. I can send you the info if you dont have it.
Unread 03-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #11
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Yeah totally going... 3 of us actually. We're driving in my '85 CJ.
We're probably going to get there between 10am and 11.
Unread 03-28-2003, 12:45 PM   #12
PAJeeper

Ill look for you, Im going to get there early, we might get snow up my way. Ill be in my 94 ford ranger, teal, Ive got lots of stuff to try to get rid of. I was on your website so I know your Jeep. Ill look for you. Ohh by the way my wife has heard of your band on the radio down there or something.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.