heated intake manifold to cooled intake manifold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > heated intake manifold to cooled intake manifold?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-23-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
chris97e

heated intake manifold to cooled intake manifold?

Hi guys, I'm new here, but not new to the world of forums, so I did search, but I have yet to find the answers i'm looking for.

I'm running a 258 in an 84 CJ-7, and the PO installed the Clifford Heated Intake manifold. I live in south Florida, so I don't really have a need for my intake to be heated, as far as I can figure, but cooler, denser air would be a huge benefit.

If I reverse the order that the water flows in, I.E. put the water through the manifold before I pump it through the engine, so it goes "radiator-manifold-engine-radiator" instead of "radiator-engine-manifold-radiator, will the coolant temp even be cool enough to cool the intake, or would it still be heating it by virtue of the cooling system running hotter than the ambient temperature?

Also, as another idea, what if I were to hook up a smaller cooler, say something along the lines of a transmission cooler and hook that up to the manifold, would that work to "cool" the intake instead of heating it?

Once again, in south florida, I have yet to see the benefit of a heated manifold, but it does seem to be the root of some dieseling after i turn off the ignition.

Thanks again for any help guys, I really appreciate it.

chris97e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

I don't have a 6 cylinder I have the V8, but this will still work.
Years back High Performance intake gaskets came with a heat riser block off. All it was, was a thin piece of steel that went between the head and manifold to block the exhaust gasses from going throw to the intake manifold (heat the engine faster). In a High Performance application you woud block the hot gases to cool down the fuel/air mixture (more dense) and create more horsepower.
So, take a thin piece of metal about the thickness of a license plate cut to fit (exhaust cross over port), and install it on the head side of the intake gasket.
This will stop the flow of exhaust gases and cool down the manifold.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

These are water heated manifold, no heat riser. Re-routing the lines will have no effect, you will still have a heated manifold. And running it through a small cooler, you need a way to pump the water. Best bet is to just bypass the manifold. Just go from water pump to heater core, then from core back to thermostat housing. Remove hose nipples from manifold and install some plugs. True you want a cold charge of air, but the fuel has to be vaporized also. If this will have any effect on the way the engine runs, you will have to ask someone who lives in similar part of the country, can't help you there.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.