headunit and speakers for a cj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > headunit and speakers for a cj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 03-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

headunit and speakers for a cj?

hey everyone, i was looking for some suggestions on headunits and speakers for a cj5? i dont necessarily want to modify the headunit opening, but i'm really only looking for the basic cd headunit or maybe something that has a usb port on the outside as well, for speakers, im just looking for two to go behind the front dash in the factory positions.

any suggestions? links?

blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
somdfisher
1981 CJ7 

The dash speakers are 5 1/4 and my suggestion is a marine radio. Atleast thats the setup I am going to use. You never know when you might get caught in a rain storm with the top down.
somdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

any suggestions for which marine radio? ive got full soft top and doors, and the radio is going into the dash panel, and as far as i know, there is no way to safely lock it in to deter thieves so im not looking to spend a bunch of money.
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I had an Alpine face off radio in mine and plan to do something similar this time around. I also just want something with a USB for my Zune. I had the 5.25" Alpine front speakers but couldn't hear much at speed with the top off. You also have to space them back from the dash with washers. I ended up adding a 4 channel amp and two 6x9 in the standard boxes under the front seats. That helped out quite a bit.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
somdfisher
1981 CJ7 

I'm going to buy a cheap Sony from Best Buy, since in my hood it will probably be stolen a few times. I think it was ~$150 I do how ever plan on doing a custom center console that will have an 8" sub built in. I also plan on doing custom pods in the rear for another set of speakers. I used to do custom audio and video for show cars, so I'm sure getting them in a Jeep wont be hard.
somdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

im not exactly looking to do anything extensive as far as a sound system, just the two speakers will suit me fine, i just wanted to see what everyone else has put in theirs, im currently in the rebuild process and i want to make sure i do things right
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Well, unless you put the stereo somewhere else, you pretty much have to cut the dash, unless you want the old two-turny-knob style radio. You could put it in a security console, or buy one of the weather proof mounts to put it in and hang it under your dash.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

thanks very much for the information everyone!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.