Headlights work, no dash lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Headlights work, no dash lights

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Headlights work, no dash lights

Was backing up out of the garage this early evening and all the lights were on when suddenly the dash lights all went out at once... Headlights and taillights work as does the blue high beam indicator on the speedo.
Checked the fuses and they seem to be okay... could it be the light switch gone bad?

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Try turning the headlight knob. It may just be the rheostat playing up.

If that does no help you need to break out some test gear. A 12V test bulb with some long leads is a cheap and dependable tool for this.

The voltage goes from the headlight switch to the fuse box IGN LPS fuse and then down the orange wires to backlight the gauges.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
RWise
1981 CJ5 

dont forget grounds!
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

same thing happened to me last night. All of my exterior lights work as well as my brake and 4wd dash light and floor lights but my dash last night have worked since i bought the jeep a few months ago. Somehow my dash lights all cut on 2 days ago. then, yesterday after drive, i went out to take a look at the dash lights since it became night and they didnt work anymore again! I tried moving around all sorts of wires and adjusting the light knob and moving the dimmer switch and all sorts of stuff. It also was raining yesterday when i drove my jeep with the bikini top. While my light switch is new, the receiver that plugs into the switch is pretty beat. I think that may have something to do with it. its even melted in some spots. As I will do, try checking your ground for sure, seems to be the go to for most people. Mine is on the bottom inside lip of my dash right behind the drive side speaker slots. Not sure it they are all like that or not. dash is also supposed to be grounded to the frame somewhere.
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Well, I had a replacement light switch and tried that and same result. One thing I did notice though, the park/tail fuse keep blowing as soon as I turn on the lights.. Is this a ground problem and where should I look to check ?
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Well, I had a replacement light switch and tried that and same result. One thing I did notice though, the park/tail fuse keep blowing as soon as I turn on the lights.. Is this a ground problem and where should I look to check ?
Was this a new switch or just one you had laying around?
There were two headlight switches, make sure they are exactly the same.
One has a jumper, one has not.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Zoiks! I will have to double check that...
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Grounds do not cause fuses to blow. A fuse blows when there is a short in the hot side. Your dash lights are on the same circuit as the taillights.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

I checked my headlight switch and they are both identical... When the fuse blows, I lose my taillights also. This is really odd, I did nothing crazy to perhaps incite this.

Any other ideas? I have gone through 8 fuses trying different things. I even disconnected the front light harness on the firewall to eliminate that. Still blows.
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Found it! (I think) Removed both tail lights and unplugged the harness going into them.... Inserted another fuse and I have dash lights and nothing blew! Now I need to either clean up the lights or get some new ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.