headlights shut off when i brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > headlights shut off when i brake

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
jmpunited9
1974 CJ5 

headlights shut off when i brake

All of a sudden when I brake, my headlights shut completely off. When I release the brake pedal, the lights come right back on in full force. It is definitely not a bad battery, it is fully charged and I threw another one in there just to be sure. It is also not a dimming effect. They shut COMPLETELY off. When I push the brake, there is a spark on the wires that run to the amp meter on my dash. the amps go straight to zero, as if I had an open wire touching metal. The spark is rather large and the bolt it attaches to seems to gets red hot immediately. Are the wire(s) going to the amp meter just attached with a bad connection? Is it possible for a spark to occur right there but the short be somewhere else? The wires going to the amp meter seem to be a larger gauge than most other behind my back. is it back to disconnect these all together? Sorry for so many questions but I am not great with wiring. Thanks.

jmpunited9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
jmpunited9
1974 CJ5 

nevermind

nevermind. Found the issue. the brake wire was crimped under the body due to the way it was routed. when i pushed the brake it was shorting it out.
jmpunited9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
retrofit9
1979 CJ7 

Well now you've got one for " you know you drive a cj when" lol.
retrofit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

"Sir, what seems to be the problem?"

"I can't stop."

"Why?"

"My headlights shut off"

Unread 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That 'spark' point is going to cause you troubles. It is a bad connection waiting for a bad time to fail, like in a snowstorm or rainstorm or middle of a swamp or...

If you can see the arc under large load, the connection should be taken apart and cleaned and tightened well.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.