Originally Posted by sanctified
SOLVED: Found all my answers in this thread. I wish I would have seen this earlier. Edited to possibly help someone down the line if they chance upon this thread.
Basically I was messing with the dash wiring a bit ago and something arced. I didn't look too close into it because everything still worked. (dumb I know.) A couple weeks later the headlights stopped working along with the dash lights. Turn signals and brake lights were still good to go.
I read here a common problem was the dimmer switch which I changed but they still didn't work. I remembered the arcing wire from earlier and looked to see if that had melted anything after first checking fuses.
I found that the red/white wire on the headlight connector (the one that is connected to the wire harness that attaches to headlight knob) was messed up. The shielding was melted back a little bit and there wasn't much copper connecting it to the plastic connector.
I imagine I need to change out this connector. (The locking tabs are kind of screwed up on it too) Any idea where I could fine another one and how I can get everything swapped over?
I have read jeephammers electrical 101 that talked about factory crimps and what not but I still don;'t know where to but the ends and how to get this sorted.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the crappy pic, its dark and late and I settled for a cell phone pic.
I had the exact problem and I carefully pushed out the wiring (small screwdriver), bought new fitting, reconnected and soldered to old wiring. On the harness plug, I got lucky and found one for $5 on eBay, but that was only luck. They are hard to find. They do sell them for about $20 but off hand I can't remember what site but they are out there. They will come with wires but simply remove those and clip in the new terminated old ones. Makes for a cleaning connecting without splicing.
Anyway, before buying that, once all the wires were removed and re-fitted, I took my drill with a small drill bit and CAREFULLY drilled out the melted plastic on the plug. It worked well and held good.
After that I checked all grounds and cleaned the body contacts to them and yes, they were corroded and bad. Since, all seems to work fine.