Headlight wire shorted out, help with fixing it. SOLVED!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Headlight wire shorted out, help with fixing it. SOLVED!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Looks right.

Cant tell on the white wires, but the red ones look right.

I would check the plug on the dimmer switch, if you are getting High Beams, you should be getting low beams also unless the switch or the plug is bad.. The power feed to the switch should be the middle wire on the plug.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Okay, so I did some more leg work.

First the dash lights. In the wiring diagram #66 (red with tracer) is not getting any power whether the headlights are on or otherwise. In that split diagram above I saw that that contact cooralates with the "ACC LPS" area on the fuse box. The fuse looks good and I tested the connectors and neither side is getting power. I figure that the fuse block is before the headlight switch so I need to figure out why the fuse block isnt getting power to resolve the dash lights. How do I do that? Disconnect the block at the firewall and try to find the connection there?

Headlights. I checked the dimmer switch cable and there are two wires that are both red w/white tracer that join together. At the plug this always has power. My guess is that when the dimmer switch is pushed the power goes from the bottom right connector to the bottom left (or something like that), one powers the regular lights and the other powers the brights. I'm going to go try and jumper it at the plug and bypass the dimmer switch for a minute. UPDATE: My theory was correct. Bottom left is the brights, bottom right is the regular beam. It appears my dimmer switch that I replaced last week is defective. Awesome.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...wiring-885160/

I found this link and it solved all my answers. I jumped the dimmer switch wiring and had power to the "ACC LPS" fuse which then turned on my dash lights. While I was under there I saw that I was also missing a fuse for the parking lights. It had never been there and I hadn't noticed whether those lights were working or not. Popped the fuse in and everything worked. I am going to be returning my dimmer switch to napa tomorrow and hope they don't give me grief since I don't have my receipt.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully by editing the first post with "solved" this may help someone else down the line. I do wish that adding "solved" to the first post for fixed issues would catch on since it starts to get tedious busting through all the many threads trying to find answers.

John- I wish I lived closer to you, I would buy you a case of beer for all the knowledge you have given to help me throughout my short time on this forum. I really appreciate all the great guys on here that impart of their knowledge.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Great Glad you figured it all out. Sucks when the new parts are defective.

I also changed the Title on the post. I think people would click on it faster is there was a SOLVED!!! in the title
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
SOLVED: Found all my answers in this thread. I wish I would have seen this earlier. Edited to possibly help someone down the line if they chance upon this thread.

Basically I was messing with the dash wiring a bit ago and something arced. I didn't look too close into it because everything still worked. (dumb I know.) A couple weeks later the headlights stopped working along with the dash lights. Turn signals and brake lights were still good to go.

I read here a common problem was the dimmer switch which I changed but they still didn't work. I remembered the arcing wire from earlier and looked to see if that had melted anything after first checking fuses.

I found that the red/white wire on the headlight connector (the one that is connected to the wire harness that attaches to headlight knob) was messed up. The shielding was melted back a little bit and there wasn't much copper connecting it to the plastic connector.

I imagine I need to change out this connector. (The locking tabs are kind of screwed up on it too) Any idea where I could fine another one and how I can get everything swapped over?

I have read jeephammers electrical 101 that talked about factory crimps and what not but I still don;'t know where to but the ends and how to get this sorted.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the crappy pic, its dark and late and I settled for a cell phone pic.
I had the exact problem and I carefully pushed out the wiring (small screwdriver), bought new fitting, reconnected and soldered to old wiring. On the harness plug, I got lucky and found one for $5 on eBay, but that was only luck. They are hard to find. They do sell them for about $20 but off hand I can't remember what site but they are out there. They will come with wires but simply remove those and clip in the new terminated old ones. Makes for a cleaning connecting without splicing.

Anyway, before buying that, once all the wires were removed and re-fitted, I took my drill with a small drill bit and CAREFULLY drilled out the melted plastic on the plug. It worked well and held good.

After that I checked all grounds and cleaned the body contacts to them and yes, they were corroded and bad. Since, all seems to work fine.
258 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.