headlight mods..... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

headlight mods.....

I know this has been discussed before, but still am curious as to what all of you are running for headlights on your cj's.....
I assume the "holy grail" for headlights is the HID conversion, but for my budget $$$$ are an issue.
I have heard Silver Stars are good, but seem to have poor longevity. I also see 29.95 H4 conversions on the online auction site, but I am assuming cheap plastic import hear (read fire danger/cracked plastic?). My local NAPA dude is sold on Wagner TruViews, yet I have also seen Wagner Brite Stars as well. Yet another article I have read basically says that scientifically there is no basis for one color being better than the other (more white vs blue) then we thow the wiring relays into the circuit on top of everything else! Lotsa' information to digest, hoping you can help me (and maybe others) out with the options.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 AM
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

The wiring upgrade is a good idea, no matter what lights you have.
I have the H4's on mine and I'm happy with them.

'86 CJ7
'04 AEV RUBICON
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #3 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 AM
incynr8
1974 CJ5 

Cheap H4's are stinky. Alot of the benefit of them comes from good reflectors, although almost anything 'modern' is better than a stock 7" sealed beam on factory wires.

I have run the silver stars (improved sealed beams) in old VW buses for years, since they are 'cheap' compared to Hella H4s. The silver stars last about as long as any other sealed beam. I have not noticed some major decrease in MTBF on those, few years either way.

H4s have a higher initial investment, with good ones running almost $100 a pair. However long term you just get to replace the h4 bulb. Better wiring and relay control is also a great improvement.

I plan on h4's on my current 74 project.

You will need on most cars to improve the wiring/run relay if you plan on stuffing increased watt bulbs on h4, and will get improvements on any lamp otherwise in most cases.

post #4 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Best thing I did for my headlights was the 'Silver Star' bulbs and power relays to get some current to the darn things!

You simply would not believe how strangled for current the CJ head light wiring is!
This isn't difficult, it isn't dangerous, and it makes a HUGE difference in the amount of current the head lights get!
Just changing to relays probably added 1/3 more usable light to the highway for me,
and believe me, With 50 year old eyes that have been flash blinded by welders, had metal fragments dug out of them, ect., that 1/3 is the difference between seeing and getting a deer in the passenger seat with me!

The Silver Star bulbs do seem to burn out a little faster, but they add so much Usable Light to the road it's worth the expensive for me!
The 'Cool Blue' light the make works better with the human eye, so I see better at night with them.

Mine have been in two, or three years now, no problems, but we run them in the display trucks too, and the square ones don't seem to last as long.
----------------------------

I put H-4 conversions in my FSJ (again, with 'Cool Blue' bulbs) and they seem to do fine, even at night.
The FSJ doesn't take near the beating the little CJ's do...
And that is why I didn't use H-4 bulbs in the CJ's, I didn't know how those expensive bulbs and reflectors would stand up in a trail CJ...
Though I'd test them out in the FSJ first before spending a crap load of money on the CJ's, but now I'm convinced the Silver Star bulbs are the way to go in the CJ!

Not quite as much light as the H-4 bulbs/reflectors, but they seem to hold up to the pounding I give the little jeeps!

Again, this is just my opinion, all subjective,
But at least form someone that has actually used both conversions and tried the relays first hand...
---------------------------------------

I have the wring diagrams, and pictures of the parts if you need that kind of stuff...

Sealed Relays out of Junk Yard Cadillac, cost $1 with bracket, harness and all! Sealed, so you can submerge them if you want to!

This is a common relay which I have added circuit breakers to for the head lights.
With circuit breakers, even if something shorts out, the lights will continue to come back on over and over again, so you aren't driving blind...
That's so you can get stopped after hitting a deer or something!
(Safety issue!)

Here are some links to things I tried at one time or another...

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/wiring...eadrelay04.gif
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/wiring...ghtRelayP3.gif
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/wiring...ghtRelayP1.gif
http://www.junkyardgenius.com/wiring...ghtRelayP4.gif

Like I said, I tried a BUNCH of different things, so if you have any questions, I'd be glad to share what I learned...

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

Last edited by JeepHammer; 02-04-2009 at 07:49 AM.
post #5 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

JeepHammer,

I'd love to see the wiring diagrams and parts numbers for the relays and actual lamps you used as mine are struggling big time for current.

1985 CJ7 Project
Phase One : 5.3L Vortec/4L60E, Moser axles for AMC20, Twin Stick'd Dana300 - Completed
Phase Two: Bedliner, Rollcage, Seats, BESRK Rear Bumper w/ tire swing, Soft Top, and a few other goodies - Mostly Complete
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
post #6 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

What is the budget?
You said something about 30 bucks, so I am not so sure how high you will go.
I did this for 80 bucks...

http://www.certifiablejeep.com/headlight.php

Worth every penny.

cb

CertifiableJeep

'76 ORANGE

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #7 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 AM
dirtman13

2007 CJ7 

I went with these. They work great.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_110.htm
post #8 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
xbarksdale
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman13 View Post
I went with these. They work great.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_110.htm
I'm glad I saw this thread, I was actually going to research these today!! Looks like I just found another way to drop $100 in 10 minutes!
post #9 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I love my Silver Stars and not had a burn out problem.
post #10 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
chadlow
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Silver Stars made a huge difference from stock in mine. I use them in all of my cars and have only had 1 go out in 3 years.

ZeroDog Designs custom airbrushing and vinyl work

post #11 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

Hey guys, thanks for all the input! I will probably try the silver star route with the relay upgrade hammer is recomending....starting to warm up a little up here in the frozen north, so gotta' start with the "jeep" list!
(PS..Keep the thread going if any of you have more to add)
Thanks again...
post #12 of 114 Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I would second the relay thing, I did mine about 5 years ago when I had to replace the headlight switch. Then the headlights would flash and the switch was getting hot and kicking out. The relays solved that problem, I picked up some new headlight plugs and will be running bigger wire to them.
post #13 of 114 Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm a relay junky.
Keep my wires from burning up, (and AMC/Jeep wires were all pretty much too small for their applications!)
Keeps things supplied with large amounts of clean current,
And when something fails, it REALLY limits the amount of failure points and expedites diagnosis.

I used

REMEMBER,
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:

LINK:
post #14 of 114 Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 AM
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

X2! Alot better to fry just a relay than a whole harness!

'86 CJ7
'04 AEV RUBICON
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #15 of 114 Old 02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
BrockGrimes

If your looking at an H4 bulb type setup there are cheap reflectors, but make sure it's glass and not plastic.
It's all about heat and water proofing.

http://www.classicgarage.com/7rounh4headb.html

USN Jeep Club Hull #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.