Headlight ground - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Headlight ground

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
CJ Runner
1978 CJ5 

Headlight ground

All lights except my headlights and front parking lights work on my 78 CJ5. The side parking lights are pretty dim. I see on my harness that there are three wires going into the headlight. I'm assuming one is low beam power, one is high beam power, and one is ground. Is the headlight frame supposed to be grounded for them to com on?

T-150 3 Speed Transmission
CJ Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
redman87
1964 CJ5 

Yes the grill/radiator support should be grounded. But your lights should still work. I would start with checking the head light switch, fuses, and anywhere the wires may touch any sharp edges

Last edited by redman87; 10-17-2011 at 06:00 PM..
redman87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
redman87
1964 CJ5 

Yes the grill/radiator support should be grounded. But your lights should still work. I would start with checking the head light switch, fuses, and anywhere the wires may touch any sharp edges.
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
redman87
1964 CJ5 

Sorry about the double post having some wifi trouble
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
bentring
1976 CJ5 

Here's a good thread you should read if you have problems with grounds.
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
ODGREEN4X4
1984 CJ7 

Head lights

Take a test light to the wires or clip and see if there is any positive power(ground to the neg batt term). 1 wire should be high and one should be low beam. If there is power- take the test light ( off the batt ground ) and ground it to the other wire /clip .if the power goes out it is the ground. This will tell you if it is a ground or hot wire issue. assuming all the bulbs are good. Don,t laugh it happened to me.
ODGREEN4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
CJ Runner
1978 CJ5 

I grounded my test light to the negative terminal of the battery and touched the test light to the parking light and it lit up. Did the same to the headlight and got nothing. I checked to see if power was going through the headlight fuse and it was. When I touched the test light on the engine compartment side of the fuse block where the headlight wires terminate into the fuse block I got nothing

Not really what to check from here, any advise is appreciated.
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Sounds like your dimmer switch (switch on the floor to switch between hi/lo beams) is bad. Check for power at the dimmer switch, plug looks like this:

If you have power in the center wire terminal then try a jumper wire from the center terminal to one of the other sockets and see if you get lights, oh yeah, when testing all of this make sure the headlight switch is on. If you don't have power at the dimmer switch it'll then move you to diagnosing the headlight switch.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Do the taillights work? If not it sounds like it might be your headlight switch.......
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
CJ Runner
1978 CJ5 

You are the man...time for a victory beer. It was the dimmer switch, swapped in a spare and they lit right up; thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.