Headlight dimmer switch location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Headlight dimmer switch location

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

I need to bolt down my headlight dimmer switch. It currently is jut hanging above the parking break. Does anyone have any pictures of the exact location of where the switch goes on a 76 CJ5 before I drill? I'd like to get it as close to where it's supposed to be as possible. Thanks!

HeathFinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
WolfcreekCJ
1977 CJ7 

Just sit in your jeep,rest your left foot in the floor,pretend like you are stepping on the dimmer, just up and to the left,wherever your foot lands is where it goes. That is what I did with mine. Then you have a Custom fit dimmer switch.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfcreekCJ
Just sit in your jeep,rest your left foot in the floor,pretend like you are stepping on the dimmer, just up and to the left,wherever your foot lands is where it goes. That is what I did with mine. Then you have a Custom fit dimmer switch.
When you buy the carpet kits, are the holes for the dimmer pre-cut (I think I read the were)? See I want to carpet the floor and if the holes are precut I want it to line up and not have to do more cutting to the carpet (or drilling). That's my main reason for asking about the location.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

Mine didn't come pre cut. When you do the carpet, flip it over and cut the padding off about 1" around the switch or it can get caught in the switch
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcowjuice
Mine didn't come pre cut. When you do the carpet, flip it over and cut the padding off about 1" around the switch or it can get caught in the switch
Great, thank you.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I don't care for the factory location. My doors stay off all summer, and when it rans, water collects around the switch, and eventually it fails. I always keep a spare, and they only cost a couple bucks.

I've planned for years to move the switch to the dash. But then the thought of rewiring anything gives me a headache, and I look for an excuse to do anything else.
hp_lovecraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have those exact measurements but am currently away from computer with the photo and measurements that shows where it needs to go. The factory holes are actually square so plastic inserts, like those used for attaching a license plate, can be installed. I think they are 1/2" square holes.

If you can wait, I'll have the info later on in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460
I have those exact measurements but am currently away from computer with the photo and measurements that shows where it needs to go. The factory holes are actually square so plastic inserts, like those used for attaching a license plate, can be installed. I think they are 1/2" square holes. If you can wait, I'll have the info later on in the day. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
That would be great! Thanks
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Here's what I have for a photo. The holes are located 1" and 2-5/8" from the inside of the side panel and 4-3/4" from the base of the firewall.
As you can see, they are square holes for plastic inserts for screws.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Thanks so much for that. Exactly what I was look for.
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathFinnie
Thanks so much for that. Exactly what I was look for.
Since my glass tub didn't have holes, I mounted mine much further up near the firewall to keep it dry and out of the way.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.