Headlamp Assembly replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Headlamp Assembly replacement

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 07-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
m1a1mastergunner

1979 CJ5 

Headlamp Assembly replacement

I was told by the parts department of the local Jeep dealer that they can only get CJ parts from the last year they were produced (1986). From looking at the parts manual of that year, the headlamp assembly looks identical. Specifically, I want to replace the stripped plastic “nut” on the housing (J812 1350, on Fig. 8-6400) to which the shell (J8121351) screws into for headlight beam adjustments. Does anyone know why this part or the entire assembly would not work on my 1979 CJ5? Currently I have just added a nut behind the plastic pieces, but I do not have enough “play” to get the headlamps adjusted properly. I have thought about shaving the plastic some, but I would prefer to replace everything. I was also hoping to find a solution cheaper than the $200 (for the pair) from a nearby Jeep supply store. My apologies if this has been answered before, I did not find the thread, and thanks in advance for any and all responses.

m1a1mastergunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
CSP

Yes they are the same.

I believe that you can get new screws with the plastic pieces attached in the "Help" blister packs at just about any auto parts store.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

i would think other cars and trucks would have the same simple headlight mount as the CJ.
Has anyone checked or noticed anything like that?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
CSP

I was thinking the same thing John. The bulbs in CJ's weren't unique at all to the CJ, so there has to be several headlight buckets out there that are also very similar, if not exact, in design.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
m1a1mastergunner

1979 CJ5 

Thanks CSP, I never thought of checking those "help" blister packs as the other hardware is still serviceable.
m1a1mastergunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.