headers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > headers

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
jeep670
1982 CJ8 

headers

two piece headers or one piece? which is better?

jeep670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
jeep670
1982 CJ8 

need help?
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

258 I assume?
hutch1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
jeep670
1982 CJ8 

yeah its a 258..any recommendations on which headers i should get?
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Hedman, single outlet. They sound great and fit pretty good, definite power increase, and much easier to have exhaust work done that havin to have a Y-collector made for the dual outlet.
I used mr.gasket high temp copper silicone in a rattle can for the intake/header gasket, spray the heck outta both sides, place it in the block and bolt it all back up, let it cure... no leaks, no problems ever! Just re-tighten the header bolts after your first outing. And check them once a week till they stop havin to be tightened.
No hedman headers has the crappiest paint on their headers (assuming you get just the regular one) it burns off within days or weeks then starts rusting.
When I had to do some engine work, I took mine off, had them sandblasted for like $45? Made sure I didnt touch the metal without gloves, so it wouldn't absorb any oil or contaminants from my hand. Went to advanced auto and got some VHT brand header spray paint. Gave them a good 2-3 coats, let it dry a bit... then I took a heat gun, on high and cured the paint more with that, and would set the gun in thr colector to heat it all up like being in an oven. Did this for a couple hours, per the paints directions. It says to use an oven or just put them them the vehicle and do a heat cycle that way, I thought my way was easier and could better keep an eye on thr paint, so it didn't burn off before fully curing.
Bolted them up, and goin on 3 yr no rust!
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

^^^Good post^^^

The packaging does say that it's not a paint that will last. It simply prevents rust while the header is in a box on the shelf.

Shawn
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6CJ7 View Post
... definite power increase ...
I believe I have read here that a header on a 258 yields no noticeable power benefits.
As far as sounds great, I don't see how. A muffler is the deciding factor.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

The stock exhaust is actually so restrictive that a header does make a worth-while difference, even with the stock cam. Here's a thread from when I did mine. I'm posting it so you can see my response at the time and not my opinion two years later.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ex...rt-2-a-794463/
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

I've had good luck with my Borla headers, but the flange is a bit thicker than the flange on the intake manifold, and the curved washers don't really work with it. That was the only issue. Called Borla and they machined some interesting little washers out of steel stock and I was able to bolt it up with no leaks. And the material on the Borla's is good, they haven't rusted at all.
mulliflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

VHT question. I'm bolting a set of Pacesetters on my 360. It reccomends using the stock manifolds until the enigine is broken in (?). Per Swatson454 "The packaging does say that it's not a paint that will last. It simply prevents rust while the header is in a box on the shelf". Seems I have same-same. I fully expect to have the paint burn off before the cam is broken in! Can I heat/VHT paint them 1st? Or will the coating under the VHT burn the VHT off?
When breaking in a Harley engine I always use stock/junk pipes to dial an engine in, so as not to discolor the new chrome pipes due to timing/carb issues. (Can you beieve the V-twin pipes can be over 1k now!)
Being a lazy B-t@rd, I realy don't wanna be changing manifolds on the second week I have it on the road!
hutch1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Yeah, that "paint" will be smoking up the garage before you see any water temp. IIRC, the instructions said to remove it and coat with a high-temp paint. I just let mine smoke off and I left it as is. It ain't exactly a show car, lol. I don't live in the rust belt though.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Poop3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
VHT question. I'm bolting a set of Pacesetters on my 360. It reccomends using the stock manifolds until the enigine is broken in (?). Per Swatson454 "The packaging does say that it's not a paint that will last. It simply prevents rust while the header is in a box on the shelf". Seems I have same-same. I fully expect to have the paint burn off before the cam is broken in! Can I heat/VHT paint them 1st? Or will the coating under the VHT burn the VHT off?
When breaking in a Harley engine I always use stock/junk pipes to dial an engine in, so as not to discolor the new chrome pipes due to timing/carb issues. (Can you beieve the V-twin pipes can be over 1k now!)
Being a lazy B-t@rd, I realy don't wanna be changing manifolds on the second week I have it on the road!
nice scoot, hutch. you're gonna want to strip that other coating off before you paint with vht, or the lifting action of the old paint underneath will upend your ceramic paint.

wasn't sure if the stock manifolds until break-in comment was a question or not. i imagine it's about having that a/f ratio just right while you break in some rings and wear smooth those cylinder walls, keep the heat down and avoid a possible lean condition until a/f is dialed in. kinda like getting that carb dialed in right real fast on a new v-twin build.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1998-jeep-xj-cherokee-hesco-stroker-dana-super-44-lots-goodies-1290749/#post12528168
Poop3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Usin stock manifolds for break-in is only necessary when you have expensive jet/ceramic coated headers, as it gets so hot it will destroy that special expensive coating you just paid for and void the warranty.
Ive heard people bash VHT paint as much as others love it... I assure you, im a paint newbie and that stuff works great and looks even better. Its all in the prep work! Just take a heat gun and cure it off the vehicle and you shouldn't have any problems.
Not sure who said headers dont add power??? Headers will add power to any vehicle (258 included) , especially with a cam. And will definitely add some better MPG as well.
And headers have a lot to do with sound especially long tube, not so much for shorties though. Listen to a cast iron manifold big block... then listen to it with 2-3/4" long tube headers!
As for mufflers, same deal a good straight through muffler is gonna make it sound even better. My 258 sounds like a V8 at idle and has a nice thump to it, course my exhaust exits in front of the rear axle amd that alone makes it sound meaner.
Im running 3.54 gears, 33" mtz's with an sm465, HEI, hedman headers with 2.5" exhaust and cruising 55-60 im gettin 17-18 mpg.
Ill get some pics and maybe video if I can later
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Forgot to add, im using a weber 38, runnin a bit on the fat side, and I was gettin those mpg's with a bikini top no doors, well see how it is with the full hardop and doors on!
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Poop3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

gotta love that low end torque from the 258s.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1998-jeep-xj-cherokee-hesco-stroker-dana-super-44-lots-goodies-1290749/#post12528168
Poop3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.