Header question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Header question

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-10-2002, 07:11 AM   #1
CJay7
1985 CJ7 

Header question

I am looking to put headers on my 85 CJ w/ 258 and am wondering which ones you all would recommend or have experience with. I am leaning towards Hedman because of price and have heard good things in the past. I know the Borla would be nice to have with the stainless steel but for the price I can get the Hedman and the rest of the exhaust done. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

'85 CJ-7 - 258 bored .030 w/ mid level cam, 4.0 head, Clifford intake and header, Weber 38, TFI w/ MSD 6, Black Diamond 3" lift, Daystar 1/2" lift shackles, 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs with stock 3.31 gears.
CJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2002, 08:57 AM   #2
4wheeler4CJ

I used Clifford Performance Headers on my last 258 "Built" motor, but had one complaint. they were two piece, and were joined where you slip one of the tubes into the other. I forever always had that very slight exhaust leak, and it used to pi** me off, because I hear every tiny noise, and a noise like that is irritating on a performance engine.

So, just watch for where the joint is in any you are looking at, maybe Clifford changed theirs, i'm not sure.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2002, 02:22 PM   #3
1911shtr

The hedman are ok. But they come with the worst paint job I've ever seen. Most of it flaked off while installing. Get the stainless. Its worth it.-
1911shtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2002, 02:38 PM   #4
jeepster18_88

What about the PaceSetters? Anyone have comments on these?
Unread 03-11-2002, 04:00 AM   #5
Guy Hollister

Here's the exported 'headers' list from my jeep links database to be released soon...

Flow Master www.flowmastermufflers.com
Flowtech www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/FlwTech2.html
Gibson Exhaust SystemsGibson www.gibsonperformance.com
Hedman Hedders www.hedman.com
JBA Headers www.jbaracing.com
Jet-Hot Coatings www.jet-hot.com
MagnaFlow www.magnaflow.com
New Era Exhaust Products www.neweraexhaust.com
Performance Coatings www.performancecoatings.com
S and S Headers www.ssheaders.com
Super Trapp www.supertrapp.com
Thorley Headers www.thorleyheaders.com

Guy
Unread 03-11-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
Bill Zebub

I've used Clifford headers(and an intake)for the past 7 or 8 years on my CJ, two piece, dual outlet. They've got some pros and cons. There was definately a difference in how the enging runs, more power but how much is attributed to the headers alone Im not sure. Its a little tight under the body with 2 mufflers and pipes and the collector gaskets do blow out every year or so but they're cheap. Installation is easy and they'll last.
Bill Zebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 09:49 AM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

Hey, there's a trick to the collector gaskets! I had a custom exhaust system made at a local custom exhaust shop (after I put the headers on), and he used Aluminum gaskets, all they were simply were about 3/16" solid aluminum plates, and were the same shape as the collectors with the right holes.

If you check with a local exhaust shop (not MIDAS, LOL ), they may have them, or make them for you. All you do is put the orange high-temp exhaust sealant on them and bolt them together, and they last for years, I never had one blow out in the 8 years I drove that CJ.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:03 PM   #8
Bill Zebub

Great idea -- I'm going to find someone to do that for me. Thanks for the info.
BZ
Bill Zebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:19 PM   #9
Bulletproofcj7

I have hedman htc. (High tec coating) headers they're pretty nice. I also used copper header and collector gaskets from mr gasket, and used the double thick lockwashers that came with the headers.seems to work well no leaks! and they dont loosen up.
goodluck
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.