JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   head lights, parking lights and turn signals acting screwy ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/head-lights-parking-lights-turn-signals-acting-screwy-1571082/)

WildChildCJ7 09-03-2013 10:21 PM

head lights, parking lights and turn signals acting screwy ?

79 CJ7
With the head lights on the driver side front and rear lights stay bright when signalling left , right side is working fine. With the head lights off the signals work almost perfect with the acceptation of the front left side light. With the hazard lights on the only one not working is the front right side. And sometimes when signaling left they all flash like the hazards are on ?
I have replaced all bulbs , new hazard and signal flashers, and new turn signal switch. I have also cleaned the grounds on the front and rear signals. I cleaned all the electric connections with battery terminal cleaner.
Im out of ideas, anyone else have a clue ?

Spieg8 09-03-2013 11:24 PM

I recently had a problem similar to this (although it only affected one front turn signal). What I finally found was that in the affected light fixture, the contacts (or rather, the plastic piece holding the contacts inside the socket) had rotated slightly. This allowed both contacts on the light bulb (2 filaments) to touch on the same contact in the socket. This would light both filaments when the turn signal was used in the daytime (appeared to work normally when headlights were off), and would light brightly when the running or headlights were turned on (but would no blink with the turn signal). Took me forever to figure it out (went through a bunch bulbs, hours of trouble shooting and tracing wires, even replaced the light switch). No idea if this is of any use in your situation (maybe you have this problem with 2 fixtures?), but hope it helps. Sometimes it's the simple things that are the most difficult to spot.

krbernier 09-04-2013 05:59 AM

its a ground problem

WildChildCJ7 09-04-2013 08:36 PM

Didnt think about that but it does make sense. Thanks Spieg8 I'll check the fixtures.
I have cleaned the four corner grounds and the battery ground to the motor, is there other grounded areas that I'm missing ?

Spieg8 09-04-2013 09:17 PM

The front and rear signal lamps are grounded by the metal side of the socket which is in turn grounded to the tub/grill. If the sockets, mounting screws and mounting holes are clean and fairly rust/corrosion/paint free, you should be okay. You can always use a test light or a meter to double check.

The smaller front side marker lamps use rubber sockets so can't be grounded the same way as the front and rear signal lamps. Instead, they are grounded by one of the wires going to the rubber socket. The rubber sockets tend to trap moisture and become corroded easily... you might try to clean up the contacts with some emery cloth or a very thin file (those emery boards that women use on their finger nails work well if you cut them down a little).

John Strenk 09-05-2013 05:00 AM

Front side marker lights are not grounded.

They ground through the filiment a that are unlit in the. front signal light

That is why the act funny when there is a bad ground.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Bubba Ray 09-05-2013 11:01 AM

I have run grounds from the front turn signals to a good ground and bypassed the rusty grill shell. Has worked great now for years. I think I got the idea from Mr. Strenk.

WildChildCJ7 09-07-2013 07:25 PM

Quick update , I installed extra grounds to the front signal lights with no change . Im takeing the dash panel out next for a closer look and a few upgrades . Anyone have a suggestion about new under dash courtesy lights? New factory set or aftermarket ?

Bubba Ray 09-09-2013 03:33 PM

How did you ground the front turn signals and to what?

WildChildCJ7 09-09-2013 08:05 PM

Hallelujah !! We found the problem !
So some jack leg ran a wire from the light switch ( parking light wire to the cluster lights and connected it in 5 places. After unhacking all the garbage Carter figured out the light switch was bad , it was hung on " courtesy lamp on position ". So we replaced that and Bam everything works correctly. Thanks for all the great advice , much appreciated . Moral of the story " FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!

WildChildCJ7 09-09-2013 08:07 PM

I grounded the front turn signal lights with a bolt threw the fixture and a jumper to the tub . That works well .

The time now is 04:37 PM.