Head Gasket Installation 360 amc - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-03-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Splinter
1980 CJ5 

Head Gasket Installation 360 amc

I have been doing research on head gasket installation. I have a 360 amc fresh back from the machine shop. A lot of information from u-tube and other sources says use "NO" sealant on the gasket. Put it on dry. I have an original AMC Service Manual and also a Haynes manual that says apply sealant to the metallic side of the gasket. The instruction from Fel Pro says apply sealant to the metal side. I intend on applying "The Right Stuff" sealant to the metal side and copper spray sealant to the fibre side. Any comment or hints about installing heads. One member stated that stud #7 as identified in the torque sequence diagram on a amc 360 goes through to the water jacket. None of the head bolts on my 360 go into the water jacket. Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Rocko1012
1980 CJ5 

Have you installed head yet? I am doing the exact same thing now. My head bolts that I removed #14 and #11 appear to have gone through oil galley. I have Chilton manual that says to spray copper coat on both sides prior to install , but that's on 304. Sorry to just ask questions and not provide answers to your question.
IDK

Ron
post #3 of 5 Old 11-06-2015, 02:31 PM
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

Don't listen to a manual for what you're doing. Follow Fel-Pro to the letter: don't add to or take away from their instructions, at least that's what I'd do. And any bolt that hits water needs to have the threads coated with red ATV.

I'd also wire wheel (if possible) the threads and be sure to oil them for a fairly-accurate load on the fastener when you torque it to whatever spec it calls for.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Rocko1012
1980 CJ5 

Finishing Head install. I broke head bolt on second right side. Ordered bolt kit from Summit (ARP kit) Expensive bolts. I put copper spray on the metal side of FEL PRO gasket. Like gasket packet said. I could not fine any bolt holes that went through water jackets. I guess initial startup will tell me if I messed it up.

Good Luck with install.

Ron
post #5 of 5 Old 11-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The instructions that came with my Fel-Pro gasket said to use thread sealant on the #7 bolt on the drivers side head.

So that's what I did.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
AMC-FELPRO-HEAD-GASKET-INSERT-THREAD-SEALER-S.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.