Head to Block Oil Leak. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Head to Block Oil Leak.

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Head to Block Oil Leak.

Hey Guys,

I had posted a while back about this issue, but then kind of chalked it up to be a valve cover leak.

Well in my quest for a dry engine I just finished replacing the valve cover gasket, the distributor gasket, and eliminated the leak at my oil fill plug.

I am almost at 6000 miles on the rebuild of my 258.

Went for a few drives and it is wet by the dizzy and coil area of the block still. Not a dripping but just enough to glisten it. Nothing seems to hit the pavement. Head is clean, i run my finger along the seem of the head and block and it grimy and oily. I am 99% sure this is it, as nothing else seems to be the case.

I know there is no pressurized oil that can be coming out of this area, so it is just seeping out. I do not seem to have head gasket failure symptoms, and no mixing of oil and coolant.

- About 3 years ago the engine re-builder took the jeep back and re-torqued the head bolts for this same issue. So it must just be a faulty head gasket.

Anyways, can anyone tell me if this will cause any kind of impending doom. I am not in a place money wise to have a shop do this (it would probably come back worse anyways) or time wise as I need this vehicle for everyday driving.

If I did the head gasket I would want to have the head checked and I just don't have time for that right now, and the intake manifold was a mother to get on without a vacuum leak.

Is it safe to keep on jeepin until I have time to fix this?

Thanks guys

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

i'd say maybe yes, maybe no....

are u sure it's coming from the head? I'd clean all your suspect areas really well with brakecleaner or similar so there's no old weepage, grit, etc. present then drive it enough to get it to operating temp for a bit and check again your clean areas for new weepage. To help see new leakage you could use talcum powder on the suspect areas before test driving. It will help show up the source of the leakage better. Use the talc on all the sealing areas - valve cover, head gasket, dist, oil tube, any block fittings, etc.
If you do actually have a head gasket leak it will only get worse with time to you may start getting a coolant leak into the oil. At the least you should look for signs of this pretty often so you'll see it as soon as possible. Once this occurs you should stop driving it & get it fixed. Of course, if you know for sure the head gasket is leaking the best thing would be to get it fixed right away.
shadoow is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Yea, Im sure it is the head to block seem. Right now it would just be very hard to do, its major engine work and I live in an apartment complex so it would be me tinkering in the driveway with it. Well since its had this problem for 3 or 4 years,im hoping it can hang on for a little while longer...

kov
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post

Went for a few drives and it is wet by the dizzy and coil area of the block still. Not a dripping but just enough to glisten it. Nothing seems to hit the pavement. Head is clean, i run my finger along the seem of the head and block and it grimy and oily. I am 99% sure this is it, as nothing else seems to be the case.

kov
Pull the dipstick, cap off the tube, and drive it again. My dipstick tube is tall enough that the top of it is about level with the coil and dizzy. This is what is making me wonder if it isn't just mist coming from the dipstick tube... Mine is all damp in that area too.

How is your PVC valve and breather doing? It might just be a little blowby they are not able to keep up with when you are on a long pull on a hill or something.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
kovic
1983 CJ5 

My dipstick ends a little in front and about 6 or so inches above my dizzy. Wouldn't my wires and everything be wet if it was coming out this end? I did pull the dipstick, the tube was dry but right under where the cap was is a little wet. So I'll clean it off again and cap it and see what happens and report back.

The breather is clear, well its just the hose that goes the air cleaner, and the PCV valve is functioning good.

Thanks for the suggestion

kov
Unread 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ok I gave it a shot. Degreased the area, plugged the dipstick and took her for a spin. When I got back the area was wet again, and there were a couple very distinct drip trails right from the head gasket. One right behind the distributor, and another right behind the coil. These drips come directly from the head gasket.

Gosh I wish I had a garage

kov
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

RE-torque the head bolts and the bolt where the leak is, take it to the high side of the torque call out, or + 10% if it's a single spec.
Lucas oil has an engine oil stop leak that WORKS.....
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Yea I have read mixed reviews on that, I wish I would have done it when I had the valve cover off a couple days ago. The re-builder took it back and re torqued them a couple years for this very issue. So that pushes me to think its just a faulty gasket. And just as a rule of thumb to myself, i will never use any so called liquid oil stop leak solution.

Im going to ask a friend of mine if i can use his garage, And I figured, the intake and exhaust would be easier to put on with the head off so I shouldnt worry about that. My only concern is the time it will take to have a shop check the head and the intake/exhaust and possibly mill it.

Ill buy a torque wrench and check to see if any of the bolts came loose.

thanks grits.

kov
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

I'm run'n that stop leak in two vehicles, and it works for me.
Hope it wasn't a felt-pro HG used.
You need to ask the rebuilder this.
LG
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I looked up the part number on my engine rebuild sheet for the gasket set and it says its by Sealed Power on the summit site.

But on another site, the set with the same part number said it was Felpro.

kov
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

IIRC, "Sealed Powder" is a Summit house brand.
Felt-pro probably was the supplier.
LG
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
kovic
1983 CJ5 

So Felpro is not good? If I were to replace the head gasket myself I would probably use felpro. What do you recommend?

thanks

kov
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Read this and decide for yourownself.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/en...-leak-1559241/

LG
Unread 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Bringing this back to life to add more experience...

I seem to have the same issue now. Oil seems to be leaking out between spark plugs 1&2. Found this while trying to figure out a major leak. That was oil spraying from my fuel pump "weep hole". New pump fixed that, but now gotta decide on head gasket or not. This to me means re-ring or not, due to 118k miles, puffs of blue smoke on startup, and good amounts of blow by. I'll probably just go with a 5.0l swap if that's the case...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.