HD Steering Solutions??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HD Steering Solutions???

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

HD Steering Solutions???

Looking to upgrade the steering components during the build and was looking for an HD drag link/tie rod manufacturer. The truck is definately going to be seeing some moderate off-roading (depending on what you definition is - we're talking rocks, not fire trails) and am quite sure the 20+ year old soda straws that AMC used for steering linkage will not work. Pretty much the only manufacturer I have found in Big Daddy, but was looking for some additional options. If you have a HD kit lying around I would be interested in that too. Thanks.

sanmiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

You can purchase them at 4wd or quadretec. Just looked at them this mourning. IIRC 4wd have their own brand also.JC
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

Did a quick search, Tellico, and Rugged ridge also offer the HD tie rods. JC
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
YeloCJ

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
I built this set up for my CJ-7, I reinforced the pitman arm with 1/4" plate all around it and I built the tie rod and draglink out of 1.5 O.D. chrome-moly, using 1 ton tie rod ends.
Unread 12-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Very nice!
I have done similar links using 1" x1/4 wall dom Heavier than stock but not as beefy as 1.5 molly.
Just get some heavy wall tube, cut it to length and get it bored and threaded at your local machine shop. Heavier ends need their tapered holes reamed to a larger size.

... much cheaper than kits.
Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
dirtman13
2007 CJ7 

I installed the ones from MORE. I do a little more then moderate offroading and they preform flawlessly.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm
dirtman13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe
Very nice!
I have done similar links using 1" x1/4 wall dom Heavier than stock but not as beefy as 1.5 molly.
Just get some heavy wall tube, cut it to length and get it bored and threaded at your local machine shop. Heavier ends need their tapered holes reamed to a larger size.

... much cheaper than kits.
Enjoy!
Hmmmm, Never thought of this, not sure why. I think I may give this option a whirl.... Sent you a PM re: the taper necessary to fit larger ends.
sanmiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I got these from Jim's Off Road on Ebay.

They are huge. Come with the tie rod ends, too.

Can't beat 145 bucks for them, either. They come in wide or narrow track.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Someone REALLY didn't want that pitman arm to do anything stupid!

Here is a tip for you...
I got tired of having to play 'Strigent the drag link' every time we went out, so I did about the same thing the guy in the picture did, Heavy wall tubing...

Also made my Hi-Lift handle into a drag link replacement...
You know, Murphy's law, if you have a spare, it won't happen anymore!...

And it hasn't! Haven't bent a drag link in the past two years now that I'm ready for the darn thing!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
smokedog
1984 CJ7 

www.searchers4wd.com

They will custom build you. Their steering kits are around $300 (drag link, tie rod all with Heim joints). I just purchased mine from them based on a referral and have been pleased with their service. Just another resource... Hope it helps.

84' CJ7 Renegade - Tungsten grey metallic paint, 388ci Chevy, 700r4, D300, SOA lift with YJ springs, 1" body lift, Bilstein 5150 shocks, Currie Rock Crawler Shackles, Trussed Ford 9 Rear w/ 4:56 gears, Detroit lockers, Dana 44 front, full poison spyder cage and lots of chrome and stainless.
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

when measuring dom or other tubing for tie rods or drag links,do you recomend cutting to length so the rod end is about at the half way point of the threads?Most likely going this rout and using heim's
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
when measuring dom or other tubing for tie rods or drag links,do you recomend cutting to length so the rod end is about at the half way point of the threads?Most likely going this rout and using heim's
Yep! But verify the toe in and readjust it (if necessary) before measuring as a badly bent tie rod can affect it.
I don't recommend heims for stearing (expecially the cheap summit heims) as they seem prone to contamination induced wear on a friend's rig. They are right out front in the dirt, snow, ice, sand, salt, weather. I used heavier tie rod ends and did a flip (requies a tapered reamer) at the same time (no issues since), they were cheaper than quality heims (free.. I had them on hand) and replacements will be availiable in any town with a parts store.
Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.

Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-21-2007 at 09:10 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

Ya know what Happy Joe, I did not think about out of town replacements..Good point..Im going with 3/4 ton axles and a high steer set up..So one ton tre's should be the way to go..I did the tre flip on my one cj and it worked perfectly..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
solitudetree

There are many options out there if you look. JP magazine did the Big Daddy kit on one of their project vehicles. I think it was Project Hatari (CJ6 rebuild).

They said it went on easy and was a very good product for the price.
75 Jeep Wagoneer 360V8
79 Jeep Cherokee 258 six
[/FONT][/COLOR]
solitudetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.