HD Steering Shaft w/ U-joint Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HD Steering Shaft w/ U-joint Options

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
burley
1976 CJ5 

HD Steering Shaft w/ U-joint Options

I'm trying to get rid of some play in the coupler north of the steering box. I would love to get the Borgeson and be done, but I'm already over budget and have another kid on the way, due in a few months.

I've been doing lots of searching and cant seem to find much of a comparison between the (double U-joint) Crown and Omix-ADA. Each can be found for around $130, which is $80 cheaper than the Borgeson.

On a side note, is there any way to tighten up the OEM bell coupler? I took it apart and I don't understand where it wears out and gets loose. Its all metal, and I didn't notice any obvious wearing or gashes.

Thanks,

burley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

You can replace the bell coupler for about $40-$45. No experience with the HD shafts, so can't comment on that.
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
1949er

The kit num. is 998710k
1949er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
burley
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
You can replace the bell coupler for about $40-$45. No experience with the HD shafts, so can't comment on that.
I guess that brings me back to wondering why it fails to begin with. If I throw $40 at it I want to make sure it helps. I thought the bell coupler has play in it brand new. Correct me if I'm wrong. I tore mine apart and I don't understand what is wearing in the bell coupler. Is there supposed to be a little play in the upper u-joint as well?
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
CSP

Parts that rub against each other do wear each other out. The rubbing slowly eats away at the material. The square pieces rub at the pins they sit on and the pins get smaller and the holes in the square parts get larger just for an example.

Remember, your '76 CJ is almost 40 years old.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

There was a thread on here earlier in the week where people were complaining about the crown shafts and their lack of quality and durability....FWIW.

Is an extra $80 really too much to spend on one of the most important systems on your Jeep? Given Crown and Omix's reputations for sub par parts I personally wouldn't (and didn't) risk it. I got the Borgeson and am extremely happy with it.

Steering and brakes are the 2 things I refuse to cheap out on and in my opinion crown is no better than junkyard parts in most cases. More than likely the replacement coupler will come from either crown or omix, so you'd be flushing $40 down the crapper that could have gone towards the Borgeson.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
burley
1976 CJ5 

I found the Borgeson for $200 shipped from Mudflaps.com. I think I'll do that route and save running the risk of blowing $40 on parts that do no good.

Thanks for the input and "steering" me in the right direction.
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
1949er

If you have play in the upper joint - non serviceable - get a new shaft
1949er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
I got the Borgeson and am extremely happy with it.
x2
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.