Having trouble setting timing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Having trouble setting timing

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Grims
1983 CJ7 

Having trouble setting timing

I installed a new DUI HEI distributor and went and got me a timing light. This is an adjustment..as in the past I've used a laptop..or even a smart phone to set timing haha.

I'm having the problems though. The jeep won't even idle at anything under 18 degrees of advanced timing. It doesn't ping or anything while driving around either. I also confirmed 0 on the balancer is indeed TDC, so I'm rather confused.

Grims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
CSP

Do you have the vacuum advance disconnected from the distributor and the line plugged?

If not, you should.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Grims
1983 CJ7 

Dammit. I realized that and then ran back inside to try and delete this thread before anyone noticed it. Ah well.

Anyway, I have it at 10 degrees with a decent idle, but it seems to run the best at around 14. My motor has forged pistons, and a comp cam of unknown spec. I also have a Motorcraft 2150 carburetor.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think Grims may have just set a new record for most threads started in a week.

Adding to what CSP said, if your dizzy is connected to manifold vac, the engine will be getting additional timing from the vac advance at idle. That's a good thing, but it will skew your attempt to set the initial, if you don't disconnect and plug it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
Dammit. I realized that and then ran back inside to try and delete this thread before anyone noticed it. Ah well.

Anyway, I have it at 10 degrees with a decent idle, but it seems to run the best at around 14. My motor has forged pistons, and a comp cam of unknown spec. I also have a Motorcraft 2150 carburetor.
The safest way to set your timing is to set it at a maximum total advance (centrifugal + initial) of around 35*, at around 3200 RPM, then let the initial land where it lands.

With an extreme cam, those numbers may be slightly different.

Matt
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
1997happy
1983 CJ5 

You might check your vibration dampner mine was 5* retarded.
1997happy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Grims
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The safest way to set your timing is to set it at a maximum total advance (centrifugal + initial) of around 35*, at around 3200 RPM, then let the initial land where it lands.

With an extreme cam, those numbers may be slightly different.

Matt
Hmm I think my timing marks only go up to 25.
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims View Post
Hmm I think my timing marks only go up to 25.
Then measure the distance between 0* and 10* on your balancer, then place a mark at that distance away from the 25* mark.

Or, measure the circumference of your balancer, divide it by 10, then place a mark at that distance away from 0. That mark will be at 36* (360*/10 = 36*)

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.