Having Trouble Getting the Lock Cylinder Out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Having Trouble Getting the Lock Cylinder Out

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Becca_78
1983 CJ7 

Having Trouble Getting the Lock Cylinder Out

I have a 1983 CJ7 that I'm trying to replace the lock cylinder on. I do not have the keys. I have the steering wheel taken apart and only had a little trouble with the snap ring, but I finally got it off. Now I can't get the cylinder to pop out. I've searched the forums and read several really good tutorials. I don't see a screw, so I'm pretty sure that I have the tab type cylinder. I've stuck a small screwdriver in the slot and poked and wiggled it around in there, but no luck.

Anyone have any tips for getting this thing out? I figured this would be a pretty straightforward job, but it's taking a lot longer than I expected!

Last edited by Becca_78; 11-13-2012 at 06:34 AM..
Becca_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
warrior1670
1986 CJ7 

Did u pull up the turn signal cam? The lock acrew is under it. There are links to do this. Google it.
warrior1670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I'm pretty sure you're dead in the water. You do need the key to turn the cylinder to the "on" position to remove it. This makes sense really considering it's an antitheft device.

Here is the best write up I've ever found, and it was written by John Strenk, who is a member here.

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Stee...placement.html

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You may not have the right hole!!!! was doing all that for 5 minutes before I realised there was a hole more to the left. You will have to wiggle the cylinder to get it out if it is locked.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Becca_78
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies guys! The attached pic shows what I'm looking at. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow and I think I'll try a smaller screwdriver this time. Maybe I'm not getting far enough in the hole to depress the tab....
photo-2-.jpg  
Becca_78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.