have you ever broken a drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > have you ever broken a drive shaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

have you ever broken a drive shaft?

I would like to know if any of you have broken a drive shaft, front or rear (not U-joints). Can you tell me what mods you were running and what you were doing when it happened? As always pics are always cool.

Thanks Justin

jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

Rears in a couple jeeps! A 74 CJ with a Lincoln locker , 304 and T19.
Seen lots of twists and bent ones in my time! Usually due to lead footing it, or gaining traction at a high throttle situation.

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
Stumpbumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Snapped mine on the road just hitting the gas to hard. Later I snapped an axle same way. Now running full widths so this doesn't happen anymore. My setup should be listed below on my post. Basically sum it up is built 360 + stock axles and shafts = not so well.
image-2884482307.jpg  
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

I have broken several. But the most memorable was a front shaft. Got cocky one night after I was the only who could make it up a hill at the river. So I told them I could make it up backwards. Needless to say I didn't make it.
To much weight transfer and power on a tiny front shaft.
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

Anyone else? I just think it seems you would break a U-joint before the shaft would give in. Well here is hoping mine holds out for a while.
jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm708
Anyone else? I just think it seems you would break a U-joint before the shaft would give in. Well here is hoping mine holds out for a while.
A stock shaft will break first over a u joint. Stock shafts are around .065 thick with small diameter where my aftermarkets are .120 and larger diameter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.