Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #121
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier, I just got around to your build thread. Looks awesome! I am impressed with your fab skills. The only thing I noticed in your rear driveshaft dillema was your rear diff seems to be at a stock angle, maybe if you shim the pinion up a few degrees it will buy you a little more travel, and remove some of the u-joint angle. I ended up pointing mine right at the transfer case and it works perfectly. Other than that, I am in awe!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #122
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
Sorry I didn't chime in earlier, I just got around to your build thread. Looks awesome! I am impressed with your fab skills. The only thing I noticed in your rear driveshaft dillema was your rear diff seems to be at a stock angle, maybe if you shim the pinion up a few degrees it will buy you a little more travel, and remove some of the u-joint angle. I ended up pointing mine right at the transfer case and it works perfectly. Other than that, I am in awe!!
Thanks alot! I'm more of a carpenter by trade. Never even used a MIG welder before I bought the Hobart almost 3 years ago when I first got the Jeep! I guess putting pieces of metal together is just the same as putting pieces of wood together.
And I've done my homework on the shims, and am waiting to get all the weight on the rear end to see how it's going to sit before I order shims. This weekend is going to be spent in the garage for the most part. I have 3 buddies coming Sunday to help lift the tub and gently set it on the frame. Can't wait for it to look like a Jeep again
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #123
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Excellent.....

Post pics asap!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #124
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

scrolling through your thread i noticed that you had the heat shield facing away from your tranny, just curious as to why.
forumrunner_20130213_183501.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #125
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis77Cj View Post
scrolling through your thread i noticed that you had the heat shield facing away from your tranny, just curious as to why.
I did notice that last week, but then started thinking. The front driveshaft is going to be right on the other side of the cat, and thought what would take the heat better, the driveshaft, or my freshly painted frame, since both will be about the same distance away. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just wrap the whole thing in heat shield wrap.
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #126
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I've been spending the day at work shopping for a new set of gauges rather than actually working, and stumbled across this set from Dakota Digital. Looks like a badass set of gauges, but the $800 price tag is probably going to put them out of reach for me. It's ok to dream though, right? Anyone have any experience with Dakota Digital?
capture32.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #127
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I would love those.....But no way in heck would they ever grace the dash of my CJ!! I like the LED options, however I think any rough wheelin' would kill them dead!

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #128
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

my cousin had one very similar to that with the only difference being it was all digital. this guage was extreemly cool and did hold up well
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #129
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Well, I got my new wheels ordered the other day, but so far, all thats shown up are the lug nuts! So I went out to the garage last night and started prepping my new seats for paint. I soaked them with break parts cleaner and gave them a good scrubbing, then heated the leather carefully with a torch then did a mist coat with duplicolors vinyl and fabric paint. Then I went back over with another light coat. It was dry in 5 minutes, and I tried scratching it with a fingernail, and it didn't come off. Didn't even leave a mark. I'm not entirely sold on the gloss black though. Might go to flat black. Not sure yet.

forumrunner_20130222_084633.jpg
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #130
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback
Well, I got my new wheels ordered the other day, but so far, all thats shown up are the lug nuts! So I went out to the garage last night and started prepping my new seats for paint. I soaked them with break parts cleaner and gave them a good scrubbing, then heated the leather carefully with a torch then did a mist coat with duplicolors vinyl and fabric paint. Then I went back over with another light coat. It was dry in 5 minutes, and I tried scratching it with a fingernail, and it didn't come off. Didn't even leave a mark. I'm not entirely sold on the gloss black though. Might go to flat black. Not sure yet.
I'd go semi gloss or flat, those look like they belong in a Caddy lol. Awesome build so far by the way!
row684 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #131
agear
1984 CJ7 

Like the engine color
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #132
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I'm concerned about your fabric paint. I used it in the past (albeit, many years ago). I did not find that it was durable. It wore quickly from the action of climbing in and out of the car. IMO, I think a good set of seat covers will work better. Also, interior latex, flat house paint wipes off the wall when scrubbing dirty little finger prints off of it. I'm suggesting flat paint is flat paint is flat paint, regardless of mfg. Go with gloss.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #133
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Well, some of my wheels came today, so I took them to get mounted. Im pretty happy with them! Ive got about as much done to the chassis as I can now, so tomorrow finally the chassis and body will become one! Stay tuned!

forumrunner_20130223_131810.jpg
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #134
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I'm concerned about your fabric paint. I used it in the past (albeit, many years ago). I did not find that it was durable. It wore quickly from the action of climbing in and out of the car. IMO, I think a good set of seat covers will work better. Also, interior latex, flat house paint wipes off the wall when scrubbing dirty little finger prints off of it. I'm suggesting flat paint is flat paint is flat paint, regardless of mfg. Go with gloss.
Your probably right. I paid less for these seats than what a good set of seat covers cost. As soon as the paint starts rubbing off, I'll either spring for some new factory seats, or some nice neoprene covers. I do like the power lumbar option that these seats have though....
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #135
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Got the chassis backed up to the tub, just waiting for some manpower to show up tomorrow to lift it up on. All I gotta do is plug all my wires back together too, and put some gas in the tank, and maybe I'll even get to fire her up tomorrow to. Can't wait!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.