Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #76
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
And this is the Jeep that I spent over 2 years building, and then only 2 days tearing back down to use for parts on my new build! Makes me sad
Maybe I missed something but why did you have to tear it down?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #77
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post

Because he's smarter than I am.
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #78
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Read post #1. I didn't have to. But with everything I learned by reading this forum, it made me want to start over and do it right. My original project started with just replacing a pinion bearing in the rear end, and before you know it, the whole jeeps stripped down to the frame. Prior to that, the biggest mechanical fix I had done was change my brakes!
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #79
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hassel,

Do you think that pipe bender would handle a roll cage project, using the same diameter pipe as the factory roll bar (1-1/2"...?)?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #80
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hassel,

Do you think that pipe bender would handle a roll cage project, using the same diameter pipe as the factory roll bar (1-1/2"...?)?

Thanks,

Matt
I doubt it. Harbor Freight has a bigger bender thats 16 tons which might do it. I haven't tried 1 1/2 pipe in mine yet.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #81
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Hassel,

Thanks,

Matt
Matt... my .02...

When we built Clay's cage I tried very hard to use that specific bender on 1 1/2" welded tubing. It's not DOM, but it IS tubing. There was commentary about using black iron pipe for the cage, but it was finally decided that you lack some structural integrity as compared to using tubing. That bender is a pipe bender, and it will bend it all day. But it DOES NOT bend tubing worth a crap! I watched all the YT videos I could of how "others" CAN do it, even with packing the tubing with sand to prevent it from crushing, but it was an absolute failure. I ended buying the prebent A and B pillars and then welded up straight pieces for cage support/bracing.

A TUBING BENDER is around $300, and EACH individual die is another $300. I couldn't justify the cost, so I bought prebent...

HF does not sell a tubing bender. Only a pipe bender. A 12 ton jack will bend your angles in 1 1/2" tubing or pipe. The HF pipe bender will kink your tubing.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #82
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hassel and Scott,

Thanks. I have no experience bending pipe or tube (other than when I don't want to, like on a plumbing project ) So that's all good info to know.

It sounds like pre-bent is the way to go.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #83
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Hassel and Scott,

Thanks. I have no experience bending pipe or tube (other than when I don't want to, like on a plumbing project ) So that's all good info to know.

It sounds like pre-bent is the way to go.

Matt
I bought from this guy, and have nothing but good to say about him. His name is Mike, and he is the owner. Bender is CNC...

www.extremecustomfab.com

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #84
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Got my mufflers in the mail last night, so I got to work on the exhaust today. Also got the Dana300 put back in, and the rear driveshaft. I moved the engine forward about an inch and a half to give me good clearance at the firewall, and now my shaft seems to be extended all the way. Will this be ok? Or should I look into getting a longer shaft?

forumrunner_20130126_142220.jpg

forumrunner_20130126_142246.jpg

forumrunner_20130126_142316.jpg

forumrunner_20130126_142347.jpg
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #85
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I'd wait and see what it does after you get the weight of the tub/roll bar/interior put back on. Right now your rear suspension is only compressed by the weight of the frame which isn't much at all. Once you get closer to full assembly look at the rear driveline again and see if it will work . But something tells me if it's maxed out right now it's going to give you headaches when the suspension is at full extension regardless of how much weight is on there.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #86
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

^^ Yep, do the shaft last or close to last. It has to slip in and out depending on the action of the axle. If it is bottomed-out and you hit a hole there is no travel left.

Question... what was the reason to move the engine forward, and do you have good clearance for the radiator? No insult intented, but in my own working plane I seem to do everything twice!

Unread 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
^^ Yep, do the shaft last or close to last. It has to slip in and out depending on the action of the axle. If it is bottomed-out and you hit a hole there is no travel left.

Question... what was the reason to move the engine forward, and do you have good clearance for the radiator? No insult intented, but in my own working plane I seem to do everything twice!
Theres still some movement left in the driveshaft, just not as much as before. And, last time I had the jeep together, the motor was rubbing the firewall slightly, so If I was going to relocate it, I wanted to make sure I had plenty of clearance. I had several inches between the fan and radiator.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #88
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
Theres still some movement left in the driveshaft, just not as much as before. And, last time I had the jeep together, the motor was rubbing the firewall slightly, so If I was going to relocate it, I wanted to make sure I had plenty of clearance. I had several inches between the fan and radiator.
Thinking back to my driveshaft... IIRC, the DS has about 3 inches of total travel. You want to set it up so there is an inch and half of travel in either direction. Maybe I'm not remembering this exactly right, but I think I am. If you need some specific detail I can measure our spare. I can't say that reducing travel in one direction by 1/2" is bad, but there is surely some number where you reach that point of diminishing return! I'm sure driving style would have a major impact.

Unread 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #89
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I remembered I had a spare driveshaft that I bought when I thought I lost my original (turned up in the garage shortly after I bought it's replacement), and i measured it. Looks like I should have enough play left in it afterall.

I ran my fuel lines and the rear brake line last night, and will get some pics of that up Saturday. I hope to get the chassis all done this weekend, so I can get the tub back on. All I need to do to the tub is scrape off all the junk undercoating that I sprayed on the underside 2 years ago, and replace it with bedliner, then it can go back on. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel already
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #90
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

If that's the same stuff as on the frame, the good news is that a wire wheel strips it off easily, the bad news is that you will end up wearing all of it.

You're coming down the home stretch now. Looks good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.