Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #796
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

What's astounding is the fact that the body steel on late model trucks is so much thinner than 30 years ago! Almost like working with tin foil. I spent the day today working on my truck. Much of it was replacing a broken leaf spring. I can replace a spring pack I'm my jeep in about 30 minutes. Same job took 5 hours for the silverado today! Gotta unbolt and remove all the other crap that's in the way first! Tomorrow I might try to weld in some new metal on the rockers. Luckily the rust doesn't go up past the bottom of the doors, so once it's all patched up, I'll use my leftover Raptor liner on the rockers.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #797
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
What's astounding is the fact that the body steel on late model trucks is so much thinner than 30 years ago! Almost like working with tin foil. I spent the day today working on my truck. Much of it was replacing a broken leaf spring. I can replace a spring pack I'm my jeep in about 30 minutes. Same job took 5 hours for the silverado today! Gotta unbolt and remove all the other crap that's in the way first! Tomorrow I might try to weld in some new metal on the rockers. Luckily the rust doesn't go up past the bottom of the doors, so once it's all patched up, I'll use my leftover Raptor liner on the rockers.
I know where you are coming from. I put new rockers in my F150 a few years back. Now I'm fighting against it on my lower door panels.
So far I have had brake lines rust through and break, power steering line did the same. AC line, rusted through and broke. Cab mounts aren't looking too healthy. Other than the rusting underneath, the truck is in beautiful shape, and runs perfect. It's a shame it may only last a few more years.

Unread 05-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #798
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I'm taking care of mine before it gets as bad as yours did. I got then cut open and cleaned out, and got a can of eastwoods internal frame coating that I'm going to use on the inside. Going to top that with some boiled linseed oil, and leave some holes in the bottom to allow what gets in there to come back out! I've now replaced both leaf springs in this truck too. Had to do the other side a few years ago. Hopefully it will last a couple more years until its paid off!
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #799
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Your Jeep is looking great Matt!
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #800
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee
Your Jeep is looking great Matt!
Thanks! I bet yours is too! Lol
Unread 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #801
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

The Jeep looks great! I know you are proud to be finished with it. I have been working my butt off lately so haven't been on the forum. So is it for sale yet? Have you found your next one to fix up yet? I know what you mean with getting behind on other stuff while working on the Jeep. I've been playing catch up ever since I finished mine!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #802
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Almost put it up for sale to buy a '59 Chevy truck, but then I came to my senses! The snowmobile is for sale now! Already feeling the urge to wrench on something again. I think you were right when you said I may like building them as much as driving them!

I really miss my 360. Whether it's a jeep or not, I need something with a loud V8 in it!
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #803
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Ain't nothing like the sound of a V-8! Maybe it's just me, but the AMC V-8s have a really nice sound and may even sound meaner than they are. There is something pretty special about building something from almost nothing, but I am thinking I will enjoy mine for a while before I start something else! Plus......I'm broke!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #804
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

So I pulled the battery out of the jeep for a couple days last week to power my ceiling hoist to lift a motor for another project, and put it back in yesterday to go for a ride. While starting it a couple times, the starter would just click and not start. Turning the key a couple times did the trick to get it going, so I figured I just needed to clean the battery terminals. I did that today, still won't start. Looks like its time to replace the starter now! Ugggh.
Unread 06-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #805
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Turns out it wasn't the starter after all. Just a stuck solenoid. I like the easy fixes!
Unread 06-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #806
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Couldn't miss the second annual Medix Jeep Day today! I never did get around to figuring out why my transfer case won't go into 4 low, so I kept my Jeep on asphalt and back country roads today instead of the trail run everyone else went on, but I still found some awesome scenery!
image-3063870959.jpg

image-629573819.jpg

Unread 06-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #807
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Living in Pa. do you get any comments of the plate bracket on your front bumper?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #808
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

What's the trail run like, did anyone say? I heard about this before, wouldn't be too far to run if I shoot out 80.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #809
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Living in Pa. do you get any comments of the plate bracket on your front bumper?
You mean the winch plate? Not yet...
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #810
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82
What's the trail run like, did anyone say? I heard about this before, wouldn't be too far to run if I shoot out 80.
I heard the river crossing was a little deep this year with all the rain we've had lately. It's the same trail Skizriz came up for last year, and I'm sure he'll tell you it's great. Since I missed the entire run 2 years in a row now, I'm not waiting until next June. As soon as I get my transfer case rebuilt, I'm rounding up some Jeeps and conquering that damn trail! Might be a little while yet though, most of my free time goes to getting a motor installed and running in my new project, a 1966 Chevy C10 stepside. But I should be done with that by the time you finally finish your Jeep! And coming from Lewistown, I bet you could be up there in about an hour and a half at the most.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.