Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #586
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Looks nice. How do those side steps mount? To the floor pan? Frame? Body mounts? A pic would be great if you are willing.

ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #587
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee
Looks nice. How do those side steps mount? To the floor pan? Frame? Body mounts? A pic would be great if you are willing.
They bolt to the floor. From what I've found here on the forum, they are stock from either dealer, or factory. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #588
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I haven't got the tape measure out yet, but I'm pretty sure it's slightly higher in the back, than the front. Most likely due to my shackles. I replaced the rears with what I thought were stock length, and I threw the old ones away before the new ones showed up. So I compared them to the front, and they were a half inch longer. I guess I'm just assuming that all 4 shackles should be the same length? I kind of like the look though!

Almost reminds me of my first car, which was a Jeep Comanche. I blew the gears out of the rear end, and instead of just replacing the gears, I acquired a complete rear end out of a Cherokee. According to my tape measure, it would fit, so I bolted it in. When I was all done, I got in it to move it, put it in first gear, and let out the clutch. The truck went backwards! Would of never thought I could put it in upside down by accident!

So, I took it back out, did a little redneck engineering, and got it flipped over, but because of the perches, the truck now essentially had a SOA lift in the rear, and stock ride height in the front! Drove it around like that for a while too before it went to the junkyard. True story! Wish I could find an old pic....
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #589
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
So, apparently a Jeep can be anything! A truck, a station wagon, a roadster, a boat, an airplane, who knows!? Lol
Heck I had a guy tell me that a Jeep is no longer a vehicle model, it's just a brand name!!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #590
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Matt. btw where did you get these self tapping screws? They are nicer than any I have ever bought.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #591
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Thanks Matt. btw where did you get these self tapping screws? They are nicer than any I have ever bought.
Which ones? The black ones I got at NAPA
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #592
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Ok I will check NAPA. I was thinking of the ones like you used in the plate next to the radio (where I am mounting a mechanical temp gauge btw).

Thanks.
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #593
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee
Ok I will check NAPA. I was thinking of the ones like you used in the plate next to the radio (where I am mounting a mechanical temp gauge btw).

Thanks.
I'd pull the temp gauge out of the speedo cluster, and just replace it if its still stuck. If it is, I can probably get ya a new one free. Should still be under warranty from Morris.
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #594
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Thanks. Does the speedo cluster come out without removing the dash? I guess I should look that up
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #595
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Thanks. Does the speedo cluster come out without removing the dash? I guess I should look that up
Yeah, you can reach up behind there, and there's 4 studs, 1 in each corner that hold it in. It takes a 5/16 socket if I can recall.
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #596
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Pulled the jeep out of the garage today for the first time since installing my Pro Comp lift. Took it for a quick spin, and it rides pretty smooth! Maybe even better than before?

I fooled around with the transfer case while I had it out on the ice too. Locked the hubs in, and tried shifting it into 4 high and didn't think it went in until I let the clutch out and the front wheels spun on the ice. Apparently my 4wd indicator light does not work. Drove it around for a bit in 4 high and 2 high, and shifting back and fourth. It shifts pretty good now, but still can't seem to get it into 4 low.

Didn't play around too long though, because I'm only running on front brakes. Can't get the prop valve to open up to allow fluid to go to the rear. That's a whole other problem I'm saving for later!
image-3475025429.jpg

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #597
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Been way too busy here lately. Just caught up on your thread. Looks good. It gives me some motivation to tackle some piddling stuff and the hard top on mine. I have been putting it off. I will be interested in how the springs work out and ride. Mine rides ruff even for a CJ so if you don't mind keep me posted on that. I bet your neighbors can't figure you out. One day you are taking it apart then it's orange then the next you are in a black one and taking it apart!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #598
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb
Been way too busy here lately. Just caught up on your thread. Looks good. It gives me some motivation to tackle some piddling stuff and the hard top on mine. I have been putting it off. I will be interested in how the springs work out and ride. Mine rides ruff even for a CJ so if you don't mind keep me posted on that. I bet your neighbors can't figure you out. One day you are taking it apart then it's orange then the next you are in a black one and taking it apart!
Lol, I only have one neighbor, and he's a quarter mile away! If he wasn't such a jerk, I might say hi to him once in a while though. It's my wife who is still trying to figure me out !

And the springs are pretty soft. The old shocks were toast though, and having good shocks on it now probably made a difference too! I wouldn't say it rides like a Cadillac, but it's definitely better than a Mack truck!
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #599
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Thanks, softer is what I am looking for! When I moved where we live now, there wasn't but 4 houses on our road. Now there are several. Luckily they are good folks. They helped me move stuff around during my project, which was nice.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #600
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Christmas Eve today means no work, and no other plans from the wife and kid, so it was a perfect time to get back to work on the Jeep! Decided to knock out some body work this time, so I tackled the left side quarter panel. Made quick work of it this time, since I'm so experienced now! Lol.

Hoping Santa brings some Jeep gear, and some new wrenches tonight! Merry Christmas everyone!
image-2242819833.jpg

image-244591020.jpg

image-1981273747.jpg

image-2673052072.jpg

image-3919196981.jpg

image-3346560077.jpg

image-1965194594.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.