Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

90K views 852 replies 53 participants last post by  ScroungerLee 
#1 ·
Alright, Lets try this again.......

Two years ago now, I bought my first CJ, with the intention of restoring it. I had limited mechanical ability, limited tools, and of course, limited funds. She was a 1978 CJ7 that was rode hard, and just all around shot. The body was toast, but it did have a good 360 motor, T18 tranny, and D300 transfer case, and what seemed to be a good frame. I got it tore down to the frame rather quick, cleaned it up a bit, painted it, and started building it back up. After I got about a year into my project, I found this forum, Way too late! :brickwall
After reading other build threads, and browsing this forum for some time now, I can't help but to think, yeah, I wish I would of done that, or, Damn,that would of worked so much better! So now, with my Jeep about 80 % complete and running, I stand back and look at it, and see everything I could have done better, had I known before. The other major hurdle for this project was that I did not have a title for it.
So, one day last month I spotted a CJ7 part-out in the classifieds here on the forum. Out of curiosity, I messaged the owner (CJinPA), and was able to get the complete rolling chassis with gas tank and steering box for $640.00. And it came with a title! So without hesitation, I made the 3 hour one way drive across the state to bring her home. I went and bought a sand blaster from Tractor Supply, and got to work blasting off all the rust, only to realize my compressor wasn't big enough. So off I was to get a bigger compressor! After blasting the whole frame for two weeks though, I'm having a little buyers remorse after welding shut about a dozen pinholes through the frame, and replacing the rear crossmember, and rebuilding the two rear sections where the rear shackles mount. All that's done now, and I'm finally ready to get painting.....
Shown here, you can see what the frame looked like when I picked it up, and what it looks like now all sandblasted, with my "parts" Jeep in the background. With all the techniques I've learned, and all the products I've seen used here on this forum, this build should rival all the other ones on here that I've drawn my inspiration from. Oh, and instead of a '78, now it's an '86 CJ7 Renegade.....So here we go, again! :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Some of the "can't live without" products I've seen everyone else using on here. Already sprayed the internal frame coating. Two cans seems to have done it pretty well. The inside was full of rust scale, and while I had the rear crossmember off, I stood the frame straight up, and pounded all the rust out from inside. got enough rust and chewed up acorns out to fill a five gallon bucket!

Attachments

#7 ·
The frame under that thing is in horrible condition. The inside is still full of mud from it's past life as a swamp buggy, and the PO welded the front bumper and shackle mounts on with so much weld, it is impossible to get it off! Plus, the shackles are leaning out pretty bad.

#8 ·
Did some more work tonight, trying to get ready to paint. Welded the rear crossmember on....Also, found these numbers stamped under the crossmember just forward of the gas tank. I'm assuming it's the date of manufacture?

Attachments

#9 ·
Got the first coat of POR-15 on tonight. Definitely gonna have to wear a respirator next time! I used the prep and ready as recommended before painting, but it seems like the POR didnt take well in some spots. Has anyone else had this problem? I wiped everything down with a dry rag, then blasted it with air. Should I have rinsed the prep and ready off with water? Hopefully the second coat will go on better.

Attachments

#10 ·
I had issues with my frame coating, and I ended up doing it three times. It all came down to prep, and humidity for me. Although I didn't use POR on my frame, I have used it on other parts. The POR process is a good system. Cleaning with the Marine Clean and prepping with Metal Ready ensure the bonding of the POR. You should have removed the residue before applying the POR. Normally, in any paint prep, you will degrease the piece before painting. Get some Prep All from the automotive paint shop locally, maybe NAPA. If you can't find that then get a Wax and Grease Remover. You will be better ahead to remove all areas that didn't bid well. Not to make more work for you, but you don't want the coating coming off after the body is on the frame.

#11 ·
I skipped the marine clean, since everything was freshly sandblasted. I wiped the residue off from the prep and ready with a rag, then sprayed the POR. I checked it again this morning after it dried, and it seemed to be fine. I'll hit it tonight with a second light coat, and then the blackcoat.

#15 ·
Thanks! I never took this much time on the chassis on my first go around with my now "parts Jeep", and it's exciting see it all come together...again! One issue I found yesterday, was the sway bar links seem to be rubbing the tie rod. I dont have everything bolted down tight yet, but from the pics above, does anyone see anything wrong? My last Jeep didn't have a sway bar, so thats all new to me....

#20 ·
There used to be, but as time goes by the roads get gated or boulders piled in front of them. I haven't done much in the past few years. Jeeps been apart for over a year and prior to that I didn't trust it because the frame was rusted pretty bad (see my build) so it got driven very little, especially off road (other than stone mtn. roads). They had an "off-road event" last Nov. over at Penn's Cave that a local 4x4 shop owner told me it was some of the best wheelin' he's done in the area. Unfortunately there was a rift created between the sponsoring club and the land owner so they didn't have it this year and it's private ground. Other than that I'm not really sure. Once my Jeep is back together I'll be able to get some of these young guys to show me what's available nowadays, locally. I'm more of a trail guy, not really into rock climbing and I got muddin' out of my system long ago.

#21 ·
I'm not building my Jeep for heavy duty rock climbing, and it's going to be far to nice to swamp it it some huge mud hole, so trails it is for me too....not to mention an occasional car show here and there:D

#23 ·
I just caught myself up on your build thread.....Man, you gotta be getting sick of all that body work by now! Lucky for me, all my body work is done. I ditched my CJ tub at the beginning when I got the chance to get a YJ tub for $300! It was alot easier for me to just make the few mods to it to make it a CJ tub. Although, I do believe I'm going to re-paint it a Burnt Orange color with black trim and wheels. It's all assembly for me from here out. Don't have to wait on any more parts, or money to buy them.:D

I'm hoping to be done by spring, which will give me sufficient break-in time for the one and only Jeep event that I know of in my neck of the woods. Every summer, a local bar (appropriately named The Jeep Inn) sponsors a Jeep Jamboree, which always draws a huge crowd. If I don't make it this year....I give up!

#24 ·
I have heard about that one and would like to go, but they charge an arm and a leg for registration since it's an "official Jeepers Jamboree" event. They have them all over the country.
And yes, I've about had my fill of body restoration. I want to start building a roller, but first things first!

#27 ·
#28 ·
Finally got a roller today! Started installing the gas tank too. Its in, but somethings wrong. Took way too much force to get it in! Gonna have to take another look at it tomorrow. Question is, does the lip running around the center of the tank go above or below the bottom lip of the rear crossmember?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

#29 ·
I'm not sure, mine's been a poly tank for a good many years now. It will probably only fit one way, so that theres not a big gap between the bottom of the tank and the skid plate. Should be just enough room for the plastic spacer sheet between.

#30 ·
Looks great Matt. I am already anticipating rebuilding the rebuild in a year or two. I gotta get it rolling because I have to move. However, I was gonna buy another to drive while I did this one, and do that one when this one was done (if that makes sense). I am pissy without one to drive- I must pass 50 CJs YJs and TJs a day (plenty of JKs too, but they don't inspire the same vibe).

I love what you're doing- I'm in.:2thumbsup:

#31 ·
Looks great Matt. I am already anticipating rebuilding the rebuild in a year or two. I gotta get it rolling because I have to move. However, I was gonna buy another to drive while I did this one, and do that one when this one was done (if that makes sense). I am pissy without one to drive- I must pass 50 CJs YJs and TJs a day (plenty of JKs too, but they don't inspire the same vibe).

I love what you're doing- I'm in.:2thumbsup:
Thanks! Was going to get ready to pull the motor out of my parts Jeep and set it on the new chassis, however, I got sidelined today by my truck. It started making horrible noises when I turned yesterd

Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal Steel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

ay, so I tore into it today and found an exploded CV joint in the front axle, and a worn inner tie rod. So its off to Advanced Auto Parts......Again!

#32 ·
Yeah, real world vehicles suck my CJ budget dry. I had all three of my other cars in the shop in the last month- mostly for stuff I could not do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.