Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #436
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #437
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Well I dove into the rear breaks tonight with the intention of replacing both wheel cylinders, but once I got in there, I realized they were actually in good shape, along with all the other parts in there! The bleeders even came loose without a fight. While I was messing with the right side is when I found my leak though. Brake line corroded through right at the cylinder. Ran and got another, and put it in only to realize the line coming back to the rear end also had a hole in it. Going to try to splice a new chunk of brake line in there tomorrow. seeing that really made me want to start restoring it now, but I pulled myself together, and decided to keep putting band aids on it, and at the same time, start stockpiling parts that I will need for the resto. Once I have everything I need, then I'll start the frame off. With my antique registration, I don't need to worry about it not passing inspection at least!
image-158016431.jpg

image-1591044262.jpg

image-4108565214.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #438
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Just got an Email from PayPal saying my $102.00 payment to Classic Enterprises for my wheel well repair panel was refunded!?!

Never even heard from them, other than a receipt. I guess they feel I can do better by making it myself, which I shall do now!
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #439
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Better a refund than an unexpected charge!
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #440
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Better a refund than an unexpected charge!
Thats right! Took that money and ordered a Prothane master bushing kit to replace all the 30 year old bushings in this thing. Won't use them all right away, but I'll have them all once I really get going on the rebuild.

I also found a good gas tank skid plate, and transmission skid plate in my inventory of spare parts, both of which need replaced on the new Jeep. So I'll sand blast them, POR-15 them, and put them up on the shelf waiting with the rest of my parts. New fuel line came already, and I'm going to have to find a new windshield frame, brake line kit, and some other odds and ends before I dive in too deep.

Since I plan to keep this mostly stock, and I'm starting out with a complete vehicle with almost everything in working order, my parts list is quite smaller compared to the last build! This restoration is going to be more like take everything apart, clean and paint, and reassemble!
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #441
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Find any bump stops?

Edit: I am (mostly!) just teasing you, if you don't have them I will just buy some. I imagine the bolts are broken off in the frame which is why they didn't get back on. No big deal.
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #442
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee View Post
Find any bump stops?

Edit: I am (mostly!) just teasing you, if you don't have them I will just buy some. I imagine the bolts are broken off in the frame which is why they didn't get back on. No big deal.

Haven't had a chance to look for them yet, Tomorrow is garage cleaning day. And no bolts were broke off in the frame. If one wouldn't come out, or broke off, I welded a stud on top of it, and heated it up cherry red and got it out. So new bump stops will go right in.
Unread 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #443
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Cool, thanks. I didn't mean any offense about broken bolts.
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #444
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Here's my last band aid on the braking system. Holding good, and she stops on a dime now. Brake light even went off. Now, on to the next project!
image-3716146522.jpg

Unread 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #445
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Is it bad when you've memorized your credit card number from buying so many Jeep parts online??
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #446
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
Is it bad when you've memorized your credit card number from buying so many Jeep parts online??
It's even worse when the guys working at the local Advance Auto have it memorized.

Or an order for anything other than Jeep parts gets you a call from the bank for suspected credit card fraud....
.......And the wife tells them they can keep it because they spend less than you do.....
Unread 10-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #447
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Here's my last band aid on the braking system. Holding good, and she stops on a dime now. Brake light even went off. Now, on to the next project!
Hasselback, those look like the compression sleeve type fittings. Are they? If. So, they aren't suitable / rated for brake systems. For brakes you should use a double flare tool and flared fittings.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #448
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I know they're not the "proper" fittings, but like I said, it's just a band aid, not a permanent fix. Everything brake related will get replaced with SS lines when I do the resto.
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #449
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

All I did to the jeep today was drive it a bit. Spent the bulk of the day cleaning and organizing the shop, and built some shelves for all the parts. It's amazing how much more room I got now! I think I even wore out my helper!
image-2335739061.jpg

image-200732458.jpg

Unread 10-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #450
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
All I did to the jeep today was drive it a bit. Spent the bulk of the day cleaning and organizing the shop, and built some shelves for all the parts. It's amazing how much more room I got now! I think I even wore out my helper!
The shop looks nice, time well spent

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.