Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 10-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #421
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Here's the inside of the same wheel well. Perfect condition. And then a shot of a usual place for rot. There may be a small hole under the roll bar mount, but still in good shape!

image-2604418392.jpg

image-3800828972.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #422
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Well, got the fuel lines hooked back up on it tonight, and was actually able to take it out for a ride and put a couple miles on it tonight. It's amazing how solid this thing is! So far, the only mechanical issue I've found is the transfer case is extremely hard to shift.
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #423
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I knew there had to be somebody out there that made a repair panel for around the wheel well. Found it at Classic Enterprises. Little pricey, but looks like it will save alot of aggravation! Just wish it was a little wider. My rust might extend more than 2 1/4 inches.
capture.jpg

Unread 10-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #424
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well it's still easier to add some flat patches than to have to incorporate the wheel cutout and lip. Easy peasy right!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #425
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Is that place still in Punxy that sells repair panels? I got some there for my old CJ 20+ years ago, they specialized in Jeep panels if I remember correctly. All I remember is that it was somewhere in Punxy.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #426
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
Is that place still in Punxy that sells repair panels? I got some there for my old CJ 20+ years ago, they specialized in Jeep panels if I remember correctly. All I remember is that it was somewhere in Punxy.
Hummmmm, I don't hang out in Punxatawney very much. Not sure if there's a place like that there or not.

Spent some time underneath it tonight fixing fuel lines. No more leaks now. Also did an important upgrade inside too. New radio!
image-2358584685.jpg

Unread 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #427
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

http://raybuck.com/
Looks like they are still there.

You gotta do the important things first, can't go anywhere without tunes.
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #428
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

You could trim back the rust so it is a huge wheel arch and put some giant tires on it... or not.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #429
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Well how bout that! I'm less than 20 miles away, and never knew they were there! Looks like they don't have any CJ parts though. Pretty limited for YJ panels too.
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #430
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
Well how bout that! I'm less than 20 miles away, and never knew they were there! Looks like they don't have any CJ parts though. Pretty limited for YJ panels too.
Back in the day, they specialized in CJ panels. They pretty much carried everything to build an entire tub from scratch.
They may have some dusty panels laying around you could get a good deal on.

Here's a writeup from Four Wheeler using Raybuck panels. It's from 1999 though. LOL It's a shame you probably can't get them anymore.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/60298/
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #431
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Oh well. I got all the critical panels ordered already. Just might have to go get a sheet of 18 gauge flat sheet metal from tractor supply to finish it up.

I also realized the cigarette lighter still worked too, so I gabbed my spotlight and took the jeep out spotting deer tonight after I wrapped up the new radio. It got a little chilly, so I got to try out the heater too. I turned it on, and little bits of toilet paper started flying everywhere! It was like it was snowing inside the jeep! Lol, damn mice! Once the flakes settled, I tried out all the heater controls, and everything works perfect! Gonna have to get the shop vac out tomorrow I guess.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #432
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Opened up the master cylinder last night for the first time, and the reservoir for the rear brakes was empty, which may explain why its a little hard to stop. So I'm going to stop on the way home tonight and grab some new wheel cylinders and fluid, and go from there. While under it last night, it did look like fluid was leaking out of the rear wheels. But the way my luck goes, by this time tomorrow, I'll probably have replaced the entire braking system!
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #433
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Since your going to replace / rebuild the stuff at the end of the axle, you might as well rebuild the middle of it too... I mean, since your back there. And then of course those lower gears you put in will have to be changed in the front axle as well. And since you have to pull the hubs to get to the shafts that need pulled out, you might as well rebuild the end stuff too. But two new axles can only perform as good as the tranny and t-case can feed it power, so you should probably tear those apart too. And then .........................
Oh wait! You already know how this works!!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #434
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Believe me, I've already been thing of where to start with it. Do a little here, a little there, make it go forward, make it go backwards, make it stop, and drive it for a while, or just go nuts now and turn it into a pile of parts now, then worry about how I'll afford to put it all back together. I thought about just pulling the tub off and doing that now, then put it back on. Then I thought about pulling out the axles and suspension, and just doing that now, then put it back in. On the other hand, the transfer case does need to come out now, because it does not shift. Maybe I'll just start there, as long as my brake project doesn't result in a full blown frame off restoration tonight!
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #435
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
Believe me, I've already been thing of where to start with it. Do a little here, a little there, make it go forward, make it go backwards, make it stop, and drive it for a while, or just go nuts now and turn it into a pile of parts now, then worry about how I'll afford to put it all back together. I thought about just pulling the tub off and doing that now, then put it back on. Then I thought about pulling out the axles and suspension, and just doing that now, then put it back in. On the other hand, the transfer case does need to come out now, because it does not shift. Maybe I'll just start there, as long as my brake project doesn't result in a full blown frame off restoration tonight!
You do seem to love rebuilding them. My point of view - fix it just enough that you can drive it. If the transfer case is in 2H now then you can drive it. If the brakes work then leave 'em alone for now. Enjoy the old girl for a bit before doing a progressively larger rebuild.

You can always save a pile of cash for parts now. Take your time finding the great deals on parts (like free and/or swaps for stuff you don't need any longer). Since you don't need the parts right away you'd have the luxury of time on your side.

I love having mine to drive any time I want. When I've got something that needs work I get all the parts ahead of time, then do just that one job as quickly as I can. I do like working on the CJ, but I seem to like driving it more. imho

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.