Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #376
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Pulled the top of the carb off this morning, and saw the primary float was way higher than the secondary, so I pulled the needle and seat and screwed it back in, holding the assembly upside down, and adjusted it so both floats were at the same level. The paper gaskets on it fell apart, so I had to make new ones too. Put it all together, and the fuel level is where it's supposed to be now. Seems to run pretty good now too.

image-3090653979.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #377
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Been having issues with my carb too and I know nothing about them either. Looks like we will be learning together! One thing I have learned is that it's not always the carb. From what I understand the ethanol fuel doesn't do well with hot temps in the engine compartment and will vaporize and over run things in the carb causing it to flood. Good luck with getting it fixed. I have been dreading taking mine apart, but looks like I might as well since you did!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #378
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb
Been having issues with my carb too and I know nothing about them either. Looks like we will be learning together! One thing I have learned is that it's not always the carb. From what I understand the ethanol fuel doesn't do well with hot temps in the engine compartment and will vaporize and over run things in the carb causing it to flood. Good luck with getting it fixed. I have been dreading taking mine apart, but looks like I might as well since you did!
The one thing that stood out to me when carb shopping was the fact that Summit Racing seems to have engineered this carb for idiots like me that go cross eyed from just looking at one. It even came with a DVD made by the guys at Horsepower TV that shows you how to tune and troubleshoot it, which came in handy! I would have never even attempted to dig into the internals if they didn't make it as simple as they did. I'm proud to say I may of even learned a few things about carbs, and how they work from having to fix my own. And after driving it yesterday, I believe I got it back in tune!
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #379
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Finally got a chance to take the Jeep out with the good camera to get some nice pics last night. Anyway, here's how she looks now.

On a more depressing note, I think I'm gonna have to sell her to help support the family. So, as much as I don't want to, I'm off to the classified section to post her up. If anyone's interested, let me know.
935956_632615216772675_691320529_n.jpg   1069312_632615266772670_937466243_n.jpg   1240589_632615316772665_33549503_n.jpg   1239661_632615436772653_1218827682_n.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #380
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Looks awesome man! I mean that is a beautiful Jeep! You are breaking my heart and scaring me at the same time. Somebody is going to get one amazing Jeep and never realize all the hard work you put into it. In the short time I have been on this forum, I have seen several people have to sell their Jeep after they built it and that scares me because I sure don't want to have to sell mine! I hope you get every penny that it's worth. Hey, maybe you can through a clause in the sell where you can have it on the weekends! haha!
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #381
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Oh yeah, don't know where that's at, but it is a beautiful view and the perfect place for a Jeep picture.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #382
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb
Looks awesome man! I mean that is a beautiful Jeep! You are breaking my heart and scaring me at the same time. Somebody is going to get one amazing Jeep and never realize all the hard work you put into it. In the short time I have been on this forum, I have seen several people have to sell their Jeep after they built it and that scares me because I sure don't want to have to sell mine! I hope you get every penny that it's worth. Hey, maybe you can through a clause in the sell where you can have it on the weekends! haha!
Thanks for all the kind words. I know you have a lot of sentimental value in your Jeep, which would make it way more difficult to part with. While I enjoyed all the time building my Jeep, and enjoy driving it now, it really has no sentimental value to me, which makes the decision to sell it that much easier. This was my first Jeep, and definitely won't be my last! If I can get what I'm asking out of it, I plan on buying another project CJ, and doing it all over again. He'll, I spent 3 years working on this one, and only 3 months driving it! Maybe I just like building them more, lol.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #383
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Bummer man. Hope things turn around for you. You always got to put the family first.

The first Jeep is easy to sell. You will then realize how much you miss it, buy another one, and that one will be a different story (that's why mine sat in the garage for 11+ years).

While I hate to see you do it, good luck with the sell. I will urge you to change your mind if at all possible though.
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #384
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
Bummer man. Hope things turn around for you. You always got to put the family first.

The first Jeep is easy to sell. You will then realize how much you miss it, buy another one, and that one will be a different story.

While I hate to see you do it, good luck with the sell. I will urge you to change your mind if at all possible though.
Thanks man. I'm sure not every jeep put up on the classifieds sells, so you never know, mine may not either. Doesn't seem like too many people in my neck of the woods like to fork over that much money for a 27 year old Jeep.
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #385
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Hasselback, you may have yourself something there about the building them. There were times when I wanted to set mine on fire and push it down the hill, but all and all it was a pretty fun deal. I learned a lot and did things that I never thought I could. Mine does have a lot of sentimental value, but if push comes to shove family does come first. Skizriz, I will never forget the first one I bought, it was a black Renegade. I have never seen another one like it. Had a bird on the hood. I still miss that jeep. Hopefully you will be able to sell this one and never look back. Good luck, keep us posted and check in now and then.
Unread 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #386
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Took the jeep for a ride last night, and noticed the voltmeter wasn't showing 14 volts like it normally did, and as I went on, it kept dropping, and by the time I got home, it was down to 10 volts. I shut it off, and tried starting it again. Sure enough, dead battery. I didn't see anything obvious wrong this morning, so I pulled the alternator and battery and took them into advance auto to have them checked. Turns out they are both good. Here's a pic of how I had the alternator wired. Anyone see anything wrong?
image-1552444791.jpg

Unread 10-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #387
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Ok, I think I got the alternator issue solved. Ran a dedicated ground from the alternator to the battery, and that seemed to do the trick.

On another note, as of today, the Jeep is officially sold to a fellow Jeep Forum user. So hopefully we all will still get to see it! It's scheduled to go to its new home in Connecticut Saturday.

But don't fear, some of the proceeds from the sale will go towards a new CJ. I got my eyes on an '80 CJ7 Renegade, and an '83 Laredo, both of which can be bought for about $1000. And just like this thread is called, Lets try this again!
image-711433282.jpg

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #388
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

I got online tonight and found this thread for the first time ... read through the whole thing dispute the wife poking at me to talk to her ... and my own CJ in the garage needing some work. Breaks my heart to see all this work and then see it sold. But, I'm glad you seem to be ok with it & if you needed it to sell, then I'm glad you found it a good home.

Good luck to hear you may have found a new project .... I've got my CJ5 up and going, but your thread has me thinking about my '81 CJ7 sitting in the shop ... thanks for the ideers.

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #389
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
Good luck to hear you may have found a new project .... I've got my CJ5 up and going, but your thread has me thinking about my '81 CJ7 sitting in the shop ... thanks for the ideers.
Thanks! Of the two CJ's I was going to try to get locally, now one is sold, and the other the seller responded saying it is still available, but won't respond to schedule the sale! My Jeep is leaving me on Saturday, and now I may be without a Jeep for a while! Way too aggravating! Seems like when I didn't want one, there were project jeeps for sale everywhere, now, none!
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #390
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Well ... if you find yourself jeep-less, feel free to head this direction. I'll let you work on mine for a bit to get your fix.

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.