Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 05-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #256
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
Oh yeah, hasselback, is that clear the bomb or what? It's like to paint what cocaine is to a drug addict.
Haha, I like that analogy! Got another coat of clear on last night, going out now to do the third and final coat. It's pretty smooth now, but i figured what the hell, one more coat. Pics to come later this evening of the finished product!

hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #257
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

As promised, one orange CJ!
photo.jpg  
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #258
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I'm a big fan of the color.
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #259
JKChris
2008 JK Wrangler 

Man, that looks awesome. Good work!
JKChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #260
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKChris View Post
Man, that looks awesome. Good work!
Thanks!

Got the windshield back on this morning, and installed my lighted rear view mirror. Also got the dash and tailgate painted, just waiting for those to dry.
photo.jpg   photo1.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #261
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Went in to town to get some brake and power steering fluid from advanced auto, and saw this monster CJ in the parking lot. I think it needs bigger tires!
photo.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #262
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Sweet... There was a YJ on Rockwells with tires like that at Doe Valley last week. I don't think he could fit on any of the trails though.
I did see him cruising up and down the dirt road that leads through the camping area and trailer parking spots a few times.

The Jeeps looking great.
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #263
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Got all the loose ends buttoned up on the engine this morning, so now I'm trying to get her started. So far all I'm getting is a lot of spitting and sputtering, and an occasional backfire through the carb. I know it sounds like its 180 degrees out of time, but I took a lot of care in making sure number one cylinder was at TDC when I set the dizzy.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ha...build-1409432/
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #264
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Ok, I got so frustrated with this jeep, I had to walk away for a bit, Literally, went for a 4 mile walk with the dog!

Here's my problem:

It acted like it was 180 degrees out of time (sputtering and backfiring through the carb), so I pulled the #1 spark plug out, and turned the motor by hand until the screwdriver I stuck down in the plug hole came up all the way then just started to go back down, then I backed it up just a hair. I marked the dizzy housing just below #1 plug wire, and pulled the cap. Rotor was 180 degrees out. So I pulled the dizzy out and spun it so the rotor would line up with the mark on the housing, and put it back together. Turned the key, and it's even worse now. It just backfires through the carb, and doesn't even try to sputter. And I've tried advancing it back and forth, with no change. And to make things worse, now when I turn the key to engage the starter, and let off the key, the starter keeps running, and it wont shut off unless I disconnect the battery? Starter and soleniod, ignition, cables, everything is brand new too. And now I'm too tired from a 4 mile hike to do any research on this, so please post up your thoughts. I'm off to the recliner!
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #265
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

When I wired my solenoid up backwards once, it cranked and wouldn't stop until I unhooked it from the battery.
Switched the battery and starter cables, and all was fine.

If yours just started doing it, I would have to go with a sticking solenoid.
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #266
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Well, I went out to try again, and the starter is working normal now.

Still wont start though......Guess I'll check the timing again tomorrow.
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #267
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Did you get it figured out? Mine did pretty much the same thing and the same point in my build. I was like you and so frustrated that I didn't know whether to cry or go buy dynomite! Mine ended up being just a one notch out of time. I ended up having a mechanic friend of mine come over and look at it. He had it cranked in 10 minutes. I had looked at it and messed with it so much that I couldn't see it (the problem). He took one look and had it going. You got any "new eyes" you can call to take a peak?
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #268
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Haven't been back out to the garage yet to get it figured out, but I found a post by Jeephammer from a few years ago that makes me think I was doing it wrong when I found TDC. So, as soon as I can find a helper to turn the motor by hand for me while I stick my finger over the #1 plug hole, I'll give it another shot.
Unread 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #269
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Ended up replacing the solenoid today after I reset the distributor, and, POW, fired right up! And purrs like a kitten now too! I'd post a video if I could figure out how to.

So now for my next question...

Are there any special tricks to getting the power steering working? The entire system was dry prior to today, and I put one bottle of fluid in the pump. I know it's not entirely full, but after running for several minutes, there's still no power to the steering at all.

That, and I gotta get the brakes bled yet, and I'll finally be able to drive it out of the garage!
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #270
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselback View Post
Ended up replacing the solenoid today after I reset the distributor, and, POW, fired right up! And purrs like a kitten now too! I'd post a video if I could figure out how to.

So now for my next question...

Are there any special tricks to getting the power steering working? The entire system was dry prior to today, and I put one bottle of fluid in the pump. I know it's not entirely full, but after running for several minutes, there's still no power to the steering at all.

That, and I gotta get the brakes bled yet, and I'll finally be able to drive it out of the garage!
I have never done anything other than slowly turn the wheels back and forth, with the wheels off of the ground, adding fluid as needed. Go too fast, and it may foam up and overflow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.