JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/hasselbacks-lets-try-again-cj7-build-1409432/)

hasselback 08-24-2012 06:16 PM

Hasselback's "Lets try this again" CJ7 build

2 Attachment(s)
Alright, Lets try this again.......

Two years ago now, I bought my first CJ, with the intention of restoring it. I had limited mechanical ability, limited tools, and of course, limited funds. She was a 1978 CJ7 that was rode hard, and just all around shot. The body was toast, but it did have a good 360 motor, T18 tranny, and D300 transfer case, and what seemed to be a good frame. I got it tore down to the frame rather quick, cleaned it up a bit, painted it, and started building it back up. After I got about a year into my project, I found this forum, Way too late! :brickwall
After reading other build threads, and browsing this forum for some time now, I can't help but to think, yeah, I wish I would of done that, or, Damn,that would of worked so much better! So now, with my Jeep about 80 % complete and running, I stand back and look at it, and see everything I could have done better, had I known before. The other major hurdle for this project was that I did not have a title for it.
So, one day last month I spotted a CJ7 part-out in the classifieds here on the forum. Out of curiosity, I messaged the owner (CJinPA), and was able to get the complete rolling chassis with gas tank and steering box for $640.00. And it came with a title! So without hesitation, I made the 3 hour one way drive across the state to bring her home. I went and bought a sand blaster from Tractor Supply, and got to work blasting off all the rust, only to realize my compressor wasn't big enough. So off I was to get a bigger compressor! After blasting the whole frame for two weeks though, I'm having a little buyers remorse after welding shut about a dozen pinholes through the frame, and replacing the rear crossmember, and rebuilding the two rear sections where the rear shackles mount. All that's done now, and I'm finally ready to get painting.....
Shown here, you can see what the frame looked like when I picked it up, and what it looks like now all sandblasted, with my "parts" Jeep in the background. With all the techniques I've learned, and all the products I've seen used here on this forum, this build should rival all the other ones on here that I've drawn my inspiration from. Oh, and instead of a '78, now it's an '86 CJ7 Renegade.....So here we go, again! :thumbsup:

hasselback 08-24-2012 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ahh, the aftermath of two weeks of sandblasting....

hasselback 08-24-2012 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some of the "can't live without" products I've seen everyone else using on here. Already sprayed the internal frame coating. Two cans seems to have done it pretty well. The inside was full of rust scale, and while I had the rear crossmember off, I stood the frame straight up, and pounded all the rust out from inside. got enough rust and chewed up acorns out to fill a five gallon bucket!

John Strenk 08-24-2012 07:05 PM

That parts jeep looks better than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

hasselback 08-24-2012 08:13 PM

Don't let it's looks fool you. It was built by a rookie, and it shows it!

Skerr 08-24-2012 09:29 PM

Parts Jeep??? um... um... um Rookie done good!

I gotta find a new job...

hasselback 08-25-2012 05:00 AM

The frame under that thing is in horrible condition. The inside is still full of mud from it's past life as a swamp buggy, and the PO welded the front bumper and shackle mounts on with so much weld, it is impossible to get it off! Plus, the shackles are leaning out pretty bad.

hasselback 08-27-2012 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did some more work tonight, trying to get ready to paint. Welded the rear crossmember on....Also, found these numbers stamped under the crossmember just forward of the gas tank. I'm assuming it's the date of manufacture?

hasselback 08-29-2012 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the first coat of POR-15 on tonight. Definitely gonna have to wear a respirator next time! I used the prep and ready as recommended before painting, but it seems like the POR didnt take well in some spots. Has anyone else had this problem? I wiped everything down with a dry rag, then blasted it with air. Should I have rinsed the prep and ready off with water? Hopefully the second coat will go on better.

Skerr 08-30-2012 07:51 AM

I had issues with my frame coating, and I ended up doing it three times. It all came down to prep, and humidity for me. Although I didn't use POR on my frame, I have used it on other parts. The POR process is a good system. Cleaning with the Marine Clean and prepping with Metal Ready ensure the bonding of the POR. You should have removed the residue before applying the POR. Normally, in any paint prep, you will degrease the piece before painting. Get some Prep All from the automotive paint shop locally, maybe NAPA. If you can't find that then get a Wax and Grease Remover. You will be better ahead to remove all areas that didn't bid well. Not to make more work for you, but you don't want the coating coming off after the body is on the frame.

hasselback 08-30-2012 08:25 AM

I skipped the marine clean, since everything was freshly sandblasted. I wiped the residue off from the prep and ready with a rag, then sprayed the POR. I checked it again this morning after it dried, and it seemed to be fine. I'll hit it tonight with a second light coat, and then the blackcoat.

hasselback 12-16-2012 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 526220

Attachment 526219

hasselback 12-16-2012 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hasselback (Post 14620865)

Just started using the forum from my phone, so I'm not quite sure how it works. Anyway, figured I'd update my build thread since I just about got it into a roller. Hope to be driving by spring!

Attachment 526227

Attachment 526227

Attachment 526228

Skerr 12-16-2012 05:50 PM

Something about a freshly painted black frame and new rotors that just looks dang good! Nice work.

hasselback 12-17-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerr (Post 14621303)
Something about a freshly painted black frame and new rotors that just looks dang good! Nice work.

Thanks! I never took this much time on the chassis on my first go around with my now "parts Jeep", and it's exciting see it all come together...again! One issue I found yesterday, was the sway bar links seem to be rubbing the tie rod. I dont have everything bolted down tight yet, but from the pics above, does anyone see anything wrong? My last Jeep didn't have a sway bar, so thats all new to me....

The time now is 03:06 PM.