Has anyone removed the heat system all together? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Has anyone removed the heat system all together?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Has anyone removed the heat system all together?

Hey everyone

I'm starting to look at installing a new painless wiring system into my cj. Last winter I tried to get the heating system all rigged up but it looked as if I was missing half of the parts needed to rig up the dampers and small misc parts. I have a 350 in the jeep and already get a lot of wind and outside warm air from the engine. I'm also planning on swapping out the dash for one that's completely blank to install the gauges where and which ones I want to have. In the winter I don't drive it much. I only have a bikini top and roll bar rear cab divider so the jeep is far from air tight. Thoughts/info??????

***PLEASE SEE POST 22 FOR AN UPDATE***

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
CSP

I bought a CJ that someone had done exactly that. I was cussing them for the fact that I had to go and source all of those parts to get heat in my Jeep.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
I bought a CJ that someone had done exactly that. I was cussing them for the fact that I had to go and source all of those parts to get heat in my Jeep.
Was it worth it in the end? I'm really thinking it may not be worth the hassle.

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

If you want heat and don't want the hassle of getting your incomplete system up and running just go to summit and drop $150 on their self contained heater. They really pump out the heat. They lack a clean way of routing one of the vents to the deforst duct but for the cost and simplicity it's a pretty decent trade off.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy View Post
Only you can decide. Only you know the weather where you live, whether you can stand cold, whether your girl friend can stand cold, etc....
Personally, I am an advocate of defrosters
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Mike86CJ7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
If you want heat and don't want the hassle of getting your incomplete system up and running just go to summit and drop $150 on their self contained heater. They really pump out the heat. They lack a clean way of routing one of the vents to the deforst duct but for the cost and simplicity it's a pretty decent trade off.
I did just that about 6 years ago with the exception of using Flex-a-Lite's Mojave heater. I now have tons of under-dash room and a much cleaner setup. With the optional defroster plenum, you can route it up to the windshild for defroster duty.
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy View Post
You didn't read what I wrote. I didn't remove any of it. A prior owner did and I was pissed because I had to go on a wild goose chase to find all of the parts needed to get heat back into it.

In other words, leave it alone for the next owner's sake. You have nothing to gain by removing any of it.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
You didn't read what I wrote. I didn't remove any of it. A prior owner did and I was pissed because I had to go on a wild goose chase to find all of the parts needed to get heat back into it. In other words, leave it alone for the next owner's sake. You have nothing to gain by removing any of it.
I did read it csp. What I was trying to ask was it worth the hassle of getting it back together. I think the aftermarket system would be perfect for my application. I didn't even know they existed

Unread 10-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Even without everything working properly, having hot air blowing on my feet and legs sure feels nice.
It's amazing what a difference it makes driving to work on those 40 degree mornings with only a bikini top and half doors.
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Well the wiring harness is ordered. I will plan on ordering the heater from summit once I take a few measurements. I may go for the 3 vent if I think I have the room behind the dash. I can't see where I wouldn't because I will be pulling out the heater assembly and glovebox so that should allow me to mount it pretty high behind the dash. Thanks for this idea guys!!!!!!

Unread 10-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Another great replacement option is a complete heater box from an early Bronco. They install virtually in place of the 72 and later boxes, give gobs of heat, and have defroster ducts as well. All you need to do to install it is rill two holes for the hoses and four holes for the studs.
Unfortunately, early Bronco's have become somewhat popular, and consequently, the cost of the heater boxes has risen sharply in later years.
I installed one back in the day when I was working at a Bronco specialty shop and was very happy with the results.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
seabass1858
CJ Literate

1983 CJ7 

I lived in pennsylvania down off the moutains when I drove a 60 willys in all seasons and 20 miles to school. There was hardly any floor and heat wasnt much. I had to fold the windshield down so the engine would defrost it at times. I think the coldest I drove it like that was -15 or -20 wind chil. Done it for 2 years then got me a c10 followed by a wrangler rubicon hard top. I got away with it but again its up to you. In all honesty the jeep will survive before you will in the cold.
seabass1858 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

Thanks again everyone. I ordered the largest unit that Summit sells and it is a 3 port outlet and 40k btu's. It measures out smaller than the OEM unit. I have a camping trip planned a few weeks out. I'm going to start laying out my dash but the Jeep isn't going to come apart until after that trip. Thanks again!!!!!

Unread 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I yanked mine out. Never have missed it. Of course, I live in central Texas. If it drops below 35* people start thinking the apocalypse is upon us.

Now if it was complete, and I was redoing it now rather than 10 years ago when I did. I'd probably keep it and make it function.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
petey156
1977 CJ5 

Could you post up a link to what you purchased from summit.
Thanks
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.