Has anyone actually ever fixed there speedo - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter

I have nothing to add, other than to quote this for making me fall on the floor laughing. What can I say, Im in a silly mood.
Glad someone laughed at that

jamie0921 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Altimeter
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord
Posts: 595
BTW, Im in the same boat as you. Im just going to go the aftermarket direction. Good luck.

1997 Sport XJ - DD
Gone:
1990 MJ, 1998 XJ Sport, 1977 CJ5, 1993 ZJ, 2006 TJ
Altimeter is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter
BTW, Im in the same boat as you. Im just going to go the aftermarket direction. Good luck.
What r u going with
jamie0921 is offline  
post #34 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
cj783
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoopa
Posts: 64
Don't go for the real cheap one found on ebay. I did and it's junk. Try to get one from Crown which is slightly better junk. The best one I found so far is made by GARMIN
cj783 is offline  
post #35 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj783
Don't go for the real cheap one found on ebay. I did and it's junk. Try to get one from Crown which is slightly better junk. The best one I found so far is made by GARMIN
I got one from eBay head unit from rugged ridge . What's the garment look like
jamie0921 is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 02-10-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
I mean garmin look like (spell check got me)
jamie0921 is offline  
post #37 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 AM
gjjc59
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 27
I just got my 85 CJ7 on the road after a total rebuild, I lubed up the cable before installing it. After a couple days of running around the speedo quit, found out the end that plugs into the back of the speedo, broke off... I guess it time for a new cable. There is a shop in town that does speedometer testing, I'm going to check there if they have one or can make one up.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)-O--)_)
gjjc59 is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjc59
I just got my 85 CJ7 on the road after a total rebuild, I lubed up the cable before installing it. After a couple days of running around the speedo quit, found out the end that plugs into the back of the speedo, broke off... I guess it time for a new cable. There is a shop in town that does speedometer testing, I'm going to check there if they have one or can make one up.
Let me know how that works out
jamie0921 is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 AM
gjjc59
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie0921

Let me know how that works out
I'll see if there open tomorrow and head over if they are, I'll let you know how the search goes!

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)-O--)_)
gjjc59 is offline  
post #40 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Billy
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Surprise
Posts: 1,792
I find the bouncy speedo needle to be mildly entertaining...


Everyone IS out to get you, if you just believe in yourself and try hard enough!
Billy is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Altimeter
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord
Posts: 595
A little pricey, but you'll never have to worry about your speedo being off when you get bigger tires!

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-932.htm

1997 Sport XJ - DD
Gone:
1990 MJ, 1998 XJ Sport, 1977 CJ5, 1993 ZJ, 2006 TJ
Altimeter is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter
A little pricey, but you'll never have to worry about your speedo being off when you get bigger tires!

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-932.htm
I do like these gauges but I'd want it to fit in factory hole 4 inch is their max
jamie0921 is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
gjjc59
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 27
I called that place here but they're closed today, only open Mon. to Fri. On their web site they list "Customized speedometer and tachometer cable and casing.". I'll call or stop in Monday and see what I can find. Here is a couple pics one of the cable and one showing the broken speedo end. My cable from My 85 CJ7 measures 69 9/16" not including the broken end...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03578.jpg   DSC03580.jpg  

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)-O--)_)
gjjc59 is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
gjjc59
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie0921

Let me know how that works out
I picked up my new custom made speedo cable, it's from a place that does speedo testing and repairs, plus a lot of other services. The new cable looks great, I just need to install it and I'll keep you all posted how it works out. It was a little pricey though, one buck per inch, gulp. Oh well, if it works and lasts, it'll be worth it! Here's a couple pics of the old and new cables.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
image-3612842959.jpg   image-3868449015.jpg  

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)-O--)_)
gjjc59 is offline  
post #45 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjc59

I picked up my new custom made speedo cable, it's from a place that does speedo testing and repairs, plus a lot of other services. The new cable looks great, I just need to install it and I'll keep you all posted how it works out. It was a little pricey though, one buck per inch, gulp. Oh well, if it works and lasts, it'll be worth it! Here's a couple pics of the old and new cables.

Glenn
Ouch is right dollar an inch but if it works than that is worth it
jamie0921 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome