Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler
 
Cutlass327's Avatar
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beach City
Posts: 5,739
Those 2 stores didn't have vehicle specific ones, only the universal trim-to-fit inserts.


Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline  
post #17 of Old 01-18-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
Those 2 stores didn't have vehicle specific ones, only the universal trim-to-fit inserts.
I think I'm needing a69 inch
jamie0921 is offline  
post #18 of Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Well I went with the 69 inch it fit great but now the little bar running from the speedo needle broke now I'm waiting for new speedo guts to arrive to see how it is really working but the funny thing is my fuel gauge started working soon as speedo stopped, crazy right
jamie0921 is offline  
post #19 of Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 AM
cjdogtoy
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: phoenix
Posts: 667
cjdogtoy is offline  
post #20 of Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
It spends like a jeep too!!!!!
jamie0921 is offline  
post #21 of Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM
jcbjeep
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: grandview
Posts: 120
the brass thing in the back of my speedometer is striped out I have no idea why it did this
jcbjeep is offline  
post #22 of Old 02-05-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbjeep
the brass thing in the back of my speedometer is striped out I have no idea why it did this
When my cable broke I think it binded up and broke mine and the fact that it was 40 years old doesn't help
jamie0921 is offline  
post #23 of Old 02-05-2012, 05:36 PM
mopar408
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new braunfels
Posts: 1,360
when you replace the whole head, don't $#!+can it. Go down to Hobby Lobby and get a set of clock works,.
It makes a Helluva nice desk clock, particularly since it's yours.

If it's good TO you, it's gotta be good FOR you....
mopar408 is offline  
post #24 of Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408
when you replace the whole head, don't $#!+can it. Go down to Hobby Lobby and get a set of clock works,.
It makes a Helluva nice desk clock, particularly since it's yours.
I'm just replacing the inner workings
jamie0921 is offline  
post #25 of Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
I've replaced the head and cable now and it's really bouncy but it is working how do I get the bounce out is it the head or is it the cable
jamie0921 is offline  
post #26 of Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
mopar408
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new braunfels
Posts: 1,360
jamie, if you give up and wanna risk postage, I took one out of my 74 that was one of the things I replaced before I ever drove it 10 ft (rebuilt the whole dash) If you want I'll send you mine to try. (you pay frt.)
If it works, keep it and send me your junker back. If not send me mine, Or use 2 and make one. Whatever, you get the picture. I just changed everything in the dash.
Just an offer if it will help.

If it's good TO you, it's gotta be good FOR you....
mopar408 is offline  
post #27 of Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408
jamie, if you give up and wanna risk postage, I took one out of my 74 that was one of the things I replaced before I ever drove it 10 ft (rebuilt the whole dash) If you want I'll send you mine to try. (you pay frt.)
If it works, keep it and send me your junker back. If not send me mine, Or use 2 and make one. Whatever, you get the picture. I just changed everything in the dash.
Just an offer if it will help.
So you think it's the cable not the new head
jamie0921 is offline  
post #28 of Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM
mopar408
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new braunfels
Posts: 1,360
what you describe TYPICALLY is the cable. Cable has all kinds of twists and turns on it's way to head and is turning in a 360 degree circle inside a housing. It's like as it turns it hits a tight spot, like tight,loose,tight, loose, and so on.
Again everyone's guessing but that's my bet.
BTW did you just REPLACE the cable w/ new or remove, clean and lube, and reinstall.

If it's good TO you, it's gotta be good FOR you....
mopar408 is offline  
post #29 of Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
jamie0921
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sunrise beach
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408
what you describe TYPICALLY is the cable. Cable has all kinds of twists and turns on it's way to head and is turning in a 360 degree circle inside a housing. It's like as it turns it hits a tight spot, like tight,loose,tight, loose, and so on.
Again everyone's guessing but that's my bet.
BTW did you just REPLACE the cable w/ new or remove, clean and lube, and reinstall.
Reply I just replaced it I'm going to by graphite lube in the morning see what effects I can cause and I'll repost. maybe this thread will have a happy ending ?
jamie0921 is offline  
post #30 of Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Altimeter
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie0921 View Post
Reply I just replaced it I'm going to by graphite lube in the morning see what effects I can cause and I'll repost. maybe this thread will have a happy ending ?
I have nothing to add, other than to quote this for making me fall on the floor laughing. What can I say, Im in a silly mood.

1997 Sport XJ - DD
Gone:
1990 MJ, 1998 XJ Sport, 1977 CJ5, 1993 ZJ, 2006 TJ
Altimeter is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome