hardtops and bikini tops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hardtops and bikini tops

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-25-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
Charley

hardtops and bikini tops

Hello, I just bought a 1979 CJ-7 with a nice hardtop. I would like to get a bikini top. My question is: do you have to remove the windshield-mounted channel whenever you go from the bikini top to the hardtop? Or will the hardtop fit over the channel. I had only a soft top on my last Jeep so I haven't run into this problem before.

Thanks,

Charley

Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

it should fit
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
hokie CJ-7
1985 CJ7 

i bought my bikini top from bestop and per their instructions, they say to remove the channel so the hardtop will seal right. I never tried leaving it on so i can't tell you how it fits. but once you drill your mounting holes, it only takes a few minutes to take off/put on the channel.

1964 M416 - for sale!
hokie CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
rok_toy

Bikini top

Here's an idea for you when, and if, you install the front weld-in cage.
Attatch the bikini to the roll bar rather than the windshield frame. Then you'll alleviate your problem, and be able to drop the windshield on the trail...and still have shade.

No the hard top will not fit with the channel installed, but like 'hokie CJ-7' said it'll only take a minute or so to remove it.
Unread 05-26-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
MudLover

Yeah, unless you want a surprise when you're going down the highway...take that channel off before putting the hardtop on. It's only like 6 screws anyway.

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #6
Charley

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the channel off every time, not because I'm lazy (no really ), but I didn't want to waller out the screw holes. Guess I will just have to be careful not to overtighten them.

Thanks again,

Charley
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.