hardtop side glass installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hardtop side glass installation

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #1
NJCJ7

hardtop side glass installation

okay, i managed to get the glass out of my old top, but can't get it in the new one. A friend of mine had used the weed wacker line trick on a windshield, and i think it might've worked for this too, but we couldn't even get it started.

How have you all done this? did you put the seal on the hardtop and the press the glass in? or do you put it on the glass first then press it in as one piece, glass and seal?

ANY ideas are appreciated...

Unread 11-17-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Geer_hed

I had to put the seal on the hardtop frame first, leaving one corner loose, and then work the glass in 1 .5 inch at a time. What a PITA.. I f'd the other side of the hardtop trying to repair it and eventually just went with lucite on both sides, which was SCREWED in .... doesn't look so great, but it's a backup top and it works. Good luck, it's a crappy job...
Unread 11-17-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I'm trying to do the same thing and think I'm just going to pay the local glass shop a few bucks to do it for me. I tried the line method, and it ended up butchering the seal, so now I have to buy a new seal.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
NJCJ7

got them in last nite:

put the seal on the hardtop, got the glass started and worked the gasket around with a wooden paint stirrer and (carefully) with a butter knife... bit of a PITA, but not too bad...
Unread 11-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Cool. I guess I'll give it another try this weekend before I throw in the towel.
Unread 11-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
jeepmor

rope, not weedwacker line

I put one of these "type" of windows in before and had the seal around the window, then put rope around the outside groove of the seal. My rope was about 1/4"-3/8" in diameter. I had my wife hold the window up tight and aligned to the opening from the inside, and I pulled the rope from the outside. Worked great and was incredibly easy considering I was pretty nervous about it.

I think the weedwacker line is too small a diameter and is cutting your seal or otherwise creating too much pressure. The larger diameter rope distributes this force over a larger area, reducing pressure, thus reducing the tearing to your seal. It was a two person job. You may want to spray some silicone spray or similar on your seal to ease it's fitting through the gap when pulling the rope.

jeepmor
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
gunkysputter23

Yes, the weedwhacker line is too small of a diameter. Use 1/4 to 5/16 inch or so cotton rope. Dope it up good with dishwashing soap or gojo juice. Put the seal on the window and run the greased up rope around the outside of the seal in the groove. Have someone hold the window from the outside while helping to push the window into place. Have the ends of the rope on the inside where you'll be pulling the lip of the seal over the window frame. Begin at one end by sticking the bottom corner into the frame. with the ropes being pulled out slowly and the person on the other end of the window push some but not too much to rip the seal, pull the window into place.

Done this many times with VW side windows and winshields.

Remember, you can slightly bend the glass some to get it into place without breaking it. Be firm but not too rough.

Last edited by gunkysputter23; 11-20-2004 at 06:07 PM..
gunkysputter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Got mine in a couple of weekends ago. Started over again and put the seal in first and sprayed the heck out of it and the edge of the glass with silicone spray. A little careful prying with a small screwdriver, and it popped in.
Unread 12-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
gunkysputter23

I'd watch that screwdriver technique there. As a rule of thumb it's best to never pry on glass with any type of metal object, that is of course unless you like chipped and broken glass.
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #10
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I kept the screwdriver off the glass as much as humanly possible (got a little tricky at the corners, so I just had to slow down & be extra careful). Basically I got the screwdriver down in the channel and ran it along which got the edge of the channel up against the outer edge of the glass. Once I had all of the rubber sitting like that other than what I was able to seat fully, I just had to carefully push in on the glass and it popped into place.
Unread 12-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #11
gunkysputter23

Excellent. As long as you've found a technique that works for you. I'm just sayin, be careful.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.