Hardtop Paint (Epoxy vs Urethane) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hardtop Paint (Epoxy vs Urethane)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
sertshark
1986 CJ7 

Hardtop Paint (Epoxy vs Urethane)

There seams to me hundreds of posts online about painting a hardtop. Rattle can vs spray gun vs roll on vs bedliner etc etc. I have done quite a bit of searching, but I am having trouble deciding what would be a good, easy option. Epoxy (single stage?) vs urethane seam to be the two options most use. Please excuse my ignorance on this, but the numerous options are confusing me. I purchased a gravity fed paint gun and this will be my first time using it.

Any recommendations as far as paint type?
Do I need to thin it?
Should I use a primer? I have read certain types do not require one.
Clear coat? (If so, I do not want it glossy/shiny)

I'm looking for what would be easiest for me.

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

I bought a quart of rustoleum black semigloss enamel and sprayed it with the hvlp gun. Turned out great and has held up really well. The top is rough enough that it does not look that shiny.
MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I won't suggest what paint to use but I'll tell you what the Jeep factory used and recommend according to their Workshop Manual #M.R.255. You could go to a paint supply shop and ask for the equivalent.

As per manual:

Wash the top with mild soap and water solution.

Scuff sand the surface with a 3M Scotch Brite Pad.

Wash the top with a wax and grease remover (Ditziers DX-330 Acryli-clean, Dupont Prep-Sol or equivalent).

Apply two single wet coats of Ditzlers Epoxy Chromate Primer DP-40/401 per labeled instructions.

Color coat the surface with semi-gloss acrylic lacquer.

NOTE: If the top is repaired and the texture has been removed, a texture additive such as Ditzlers DX-1507 can be added to the paint and applied to the repaired area.

That's how it's done and that's how it's written.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWonderful73 View Post
I bought a quart of rustoleum black semigloss enamel and sprayed it with the hvlp gun. Turned out great and has held up really well. The top is rough enough that it does not look that shiny.
Same here. It looks right.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

Here's what I did.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/an...epair-1432652/
imafishingfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.