hardtop modification ideas needed for spare junk top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hardtop modification ideas needed for spare junk top

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
mike06X

hardtop modification ideas needed for spare junk top

i have a spare hardtop i got for nothing; it has a few cracks in the rear pillars, rear window hinge area is cracked, and is a few different colors of rattle-can.

What kind of project could I do with this? I was thinking cut it up and make a hard-bikini type top? The bikini top on my CJ7 drives me crazy with the flapping at highway speeds..

Anyone have any pictures of some hardtop cut-up projects?

Unread 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06X View Post
Anyone have any pictures of some hardtop cut-up projects?
Do a half hardtop. No pics, but google it; they were popular back in the day. It would turn out similar to an AEV Brute look.

EDIT - Actually, just did a search and found this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj7-cj8-half-hard-top-511780/
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06X View Post
What kind of project could I do with this?
I have thought of chopping one down in heighth...aka a chop top. There is plenty of head room for it.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If you made a 1/2 hard top out of it, you have to cut the front lip off and mate it to the 1/2 way point somehow... if you wanted a bikini top, you could just take the windows out and the rear off and run it like that, no?

If you start cutting the lower mount points to the tub or the middle pillars out, you might get a flexy hard top at highway speeds if you don't reinforce it.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

mike,
a guy in our town of Murray, Ky has a cj-7 with a cut down or cut off hard top.

It looks cool, wish I had a picture for you, as most of us do not have a spare hard top to work with.

it is cut off about 5-8" behind the doors, when he got to the top he turn it out to the back about 8" so it looks like it has a rear lip or overhang.

I guess this rear overhang is to protect the rear panel he placed behind the seats. Do not remember what the rear panel looks like.

But will tell you it looks good and is cj eye candy.

his jeep is in great shape and painted orange so it stands out even without the top.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.