Hardtop on Fiberglass Windshield Frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hardtop on Fiberglass Windshield Frame?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

Hardtop on Fiberglass Windshield Frame?

got my 85 cj7 a few months ago, and am planning on putting the hardtop on soon- my tj didn't have a hard top, so this is new to me- i thought it would be pretty simple, but i noticed where the top rests on the windshield, there are holes- however, the previous owner put a fiberglass windshield frame in. there are no holes in it. do i have to drill holes, or is the frame just no good for a hard top?

Thanks-

TJTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I believe that at a minimim, you want to reinforce the frame portion with metal strip, or some type of insert.

the front edge isn't completely structural, but you absolutley want it secured.

theey do make a repair kit of sorts, for the hard-top at least, perhaps you could reverse it, and use it on the windshield?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_101.htm

HTH

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Hoss- but I'm going to have to drill holes into the fiberglass?
Unread 10-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

depends, you may, or you may need to attach a metal strip and drill it, but you will need something

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Yes you need to drill. Put the top on, mark holes, remove top, then drill. Maybe you can drill with it on there, but I couldn't because of my roll cage.

Everything held up fine for about 4 yrs of on/off. Then the holes started stripping. I made a thin plate that sandwiches the windshield frame. I think you can buy these, but I made mine.

Good luck.
--John
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

the 4wd catalog shows a fiberglass body that has the holes pre-drilled, with the "sleeves" (i don't know what else to call them) that the bolts would be threaded into. i'm wondering if i can drill a hole, insert the threaded sleeve (secure it somehow), and be all set. i'm probably better off just getting a steel windshield frame anyways!
Unread 10-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

They are probably nutzerts. IF installed correctly they work great. Don't know the thickness of the windshield but that will have to be determined before selecting the proper fastener.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.